Pages

Crazy as a Loom

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Making it right.

Guess old Ringo knew of my plan, cause he was nowhere to be seen today.
He's on my list though, and that's a fact.

I spent the entire morning putting the "lost rugs" on my web site.  THIRTY FOUR RUGS.
Can you believe it?
I waver between being disturbed that I made such a mistake, and happy that I have all this NEW STOCK.
Crazy.

Just a couple of rugs I missed.



I have been anguishing over a decision I made a while back.  I decided to attend a wholesale show coming up next week.
I also have a stack of craft show applications sitting here on my coffee table, awaiting my attention.
The problem is that I try to talk myself into doing shows, when the truth of the matter is.......I HATE SHOWS.
I feel kind of stupid here, because I have this internal dialogue going on.  Do you ever do that?   Try to brow beat yourself into something that you THINK you should do.
I just don't want to.  I think it is a major waste of time.  Will I sell stuff?  Yeah, probably.  But will I sell enough to justify my spending 2 days sitting at a show and at least 1 day getting ready and tearing down.
I doubt it.
And I know that in three days time, I can be a lot more productive staying right at the studio, doing what I love to do.  And more importantly, I don't want to market myself, and my passion.  I believe in my heart that it will sell itself.  I don't think I need to market it.  Maybe that sounds crazy, but it's my gut reaction.
I do have ONE show in September, an easy peasy fun show, a fiber show, that I will do.  And cross my heart and hope to die, I will not do any more.
Amen.

I have been thinking about stories, since the one I told you about Fast Eddie.  I realized that a lot of my comical stories are due to my father. He was such a character.
 I used to think that it was the bane of my existence that someone was always bound to say to me, "Aren't you Morty Cooper's daughter?"
But I have come to realize, in my advancing years, that I think of myself............still............as Morty Cooper's daughter.
Ha!!!  He would have a laugh to hear that.

Sometimes, I see him in my own children, if only a glimpse.






8 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

Love that you see your dad's legacy. And congrats on all your new(found) stock! :)

claudia said...

I think I do the brow beating stuff a lot. Sometimes I give in to it, other times no way.
My problem is, I would think the show was going to be such fun and then brow beat myself for going and wasting my time!
My dad is a kick. Isn't it wonderful?

deborah said...

I agree with you on the shows...so much work, and that's time you could spend weaving! I used to do shows but each is such a wild card - you never know about the crowd or the weather or the...

Country Girl said...

Do NOT go to the shows. Except for that you want to do, the fun one. I love your honesty.

Your boy on Idol - damn he's good. (You are the Scotty fan, right?)

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...

Hilary, I say, don't do the shows. Follow your heart. If there is one that you actually enjoy - as in the location and the people and other stuff you can do there, that's the only one I'd sign up for.

Have I told you lately how absolutely WONDERFUL your dishtowels are? They stay fluffy and absorbent and beautiful wash after wash! LOVE THEM.

sharon said...

I hate making decisions like that. Do I stay or do I go? Most of the time, I say no! love your rugs, absolutely beautiful!!

maggie said...

The day before I was due to fly to the other side of the world alone to visit my daughter; ..I was so terrified that I was tempted to call the whole trip off. Then I remembered this....once upon a time there was a suitcase that never went anywhere., and so it became a just-in-case !
With this quote in mind, I boarded the plane., and wow ! what an experience. Now I'm back home. Safe and sound. I'm so glad I said YES.
Love the rugs by the way. x

Restless Knitter said...

Due to being out of town, I'm a little behind on blog reading. I love seeing all the rugs you weave but two in this post I just have to comment on.

The first rug pictured almost seems to tell a story. In one part, I can almost see a rosepath design. In other parts, it's like there is a secret message encoded. I can almost see the letters, I know there is something there, I just can't make it out. There's a story there, but it is not meant for me to read. The lucky owner will know.

And as I said, I do enjoy seeing all your rugs. But that last one, the mostly dark one, is one of my absolute favorites.

Welcome to my world.

Because every thread counts

Because every thread counts