Pages

Crazy as a Loom

Saturday, March 19, 2011

A few truths.

Sometimes you wander through life and no change is necessary.  Then there are other times that just demand some thought.
Not long ago, I think right around the New Year, I started thinking about what made me happy, and what didn't.
I have to admit that I am mostly happy.  There is not much in my life that causes discontent.
And most of it is inconsequential in the scheme of things.

At my age, I am not too awfully vain.  Kind of late for that, I think.
But as you know,  I did have had some anxiety about my hair, mostly about whether to dye it or not.

About 13 years ago, having just slid over the 50 mark, I went to California with my youngest daughter, to visit my middle daughter, her husband, and my first grandchild.  While I was there, they convinced me to dye my hair, and I have been doing so since.  I kind of liked having red hair, but  for the last year, I was having a problem with it.  I was getting tired of spending the money, and tired of wasting my time.
But the biggest reason of all, is that even though the hair itself looked OK, there was a huge disparity between my hair, and the rest of me.  My hair looked like it belonged to a 35 year old, and um, the rest of me did not.


So a few months ago, I stopped.  My hair is getting quite silver, if I do say so myself.  And while I might not be impressing anyone else, I quite like it.  It matches the rest of me. Ha!


But among the few things that bothered me, the biggest aggravation was my weight.  I have gained 25 lbs over the course of the years, and it does not belong on my body.
And like many of you, I have tried a whole bevy of diets, I have bought a truckload of exercise equipment, and nothing much has worked.
Except once, a few years back, I did lose 18 lbs.
Sure I gained it back, but I did lose it, and I did it with Weight Watchers.
I gave it up because I was hungry all the time.
Well, 8 weeks ago, I joined Weight Watchers again, the new WW, with a new program.  The good news is that I am not hungry all the time.
 I am going to lose this 25 lbs, if it is the LAST thing I EVER do.
I decided, that the one thing in this world that makes me unhappy is  this 25 lbs of fat.  It is like carrying around FIVE 5 lb bags of sugar on my hips.
I can't stop getting older, in fact, I am quite grateful for the chance to do so, but I don't have to do it with 25 extra lbs on my body.



So far, I am doing well, I am presently wearing a pair of corduroy jeans that I could not previously zip up.  And I am committed.   My goal is to show you a picture of myself 25lbs lighter.  It might take a while.  But it will happen.  The biggest obstacle right now is the plantar fasciitis that plagues me and makes it hard to walk far, but if the weather keeps improving,  I will be getting my bike out soon.


Little trip to the horse farm down the road, where the grandkids want to go this summer to learn to ride.
The wind was chilly, but the sun marvelled.
Can the sun marvel?  You bet it can.


When we got to the studio, the kids started playing their usual ninja game, with dowels for swords, and loopers for face and body decoration, so I took the opportunity to put on a warp.
But here's a tip......when you wind some spools for a warp, and put them aside in a bag, it is a real good idea to tag the bag with the pertinent information, like how many yards of warp is on each spool, and how many threads per inch and yards on the beam you intend you use.
But I figured it out eventually.


This will be some wild and pink shawls, or maybe a ruana or two.
All I have to do now is tie it on.

Now the kids  have taken over my house, the living room is cluttered with their stuff, and as
much as I love them, I wonder how I ever did this day after day.
I guess that's why people my age don't (shouldn't) actually have little kids.
But I can enjoy them more, knowing that they will go home to Mommy tomorrow.
Ah........



14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hot Dang! It's Hot Pink!

If my hair would turn all silvery and salt and pepper like Hubby's I'd quit coloring it. But mine is simply dull. AND, I don't color it often enough because it costs a small fortune.

Di

Teri said...

Good Luck with the weight loss, I have a similar struggle, but am slowing working it out. As for the grey, I have waist length hair it's grey and wirey on top, I color it at home using a non-permanent color.

WeaveThings said...

I love reading your blog. I have to say that I too am on Weight Watchers Online and it's great. The new program has me trying to find enough food each day to eat up all of my points - I love that! Good luck to you, I know you will do it.
Donald

A Brit in Tennessee said...

I can only admire your determination.
I need to lose at least 25 lbs, it would really help my knee problem, and who knows, I may be able to tie my shoes once again :)
Do what's comfortable with your hair, that's what matters.
Love those grandchildren and ponies ...
Hugs,
~Jo

deborah said...

Wishing you a great adventure losing those pesky pounds! I'm going to start walking and try to lose some of mine, too.
I dyed my hair for the first time this week..I was going grey, but only on one side of my head! Lopsided, I guess.
Love the pink, can't wait to see what you are going to make-

TexWisGirl said...

I'm all about the un-dyed hair. I love my gray as it comes in stronger each week/month/year. I too could stand to lose 20 lbs at least. My knees are starting to feel the stress. With spring all around, it's about time I get serious...

joyceetta said...

Hilary
I often feel I am on a parallel path to yours. I also have made the decision to not color my hair...I don't want to spend the money on it and I happen to believe it really isn't healthy for me to dump those chemicals on it
Also....8 weeks ago I re-joined WW (lost 23 lbs. 10 years ago). When I started again I had 27 lbs. to lose. So far I am down just under 10.
I think we are sisters from different mothers! Ha!
I'll be interested to hear how you are doing on the program.
Love the colors on the warp!

Stickhorsecowgirls said...

Really silver hair would be nice, but I'm not sure what color my hair is now!!! I'm afraid it is white in areas and dark in others--not sure what to do--maybe platinum someday.
I had the same problem with my feet several years ago--it hurt so much especially when I first got out of bed or from sitting. After suffering from it for abut 8 months, I finally started taking aspirin regularly--It CURED it and it has never come back!

Acorn to Oak said...

I love the idea of not coloring my hair anymore and I've tried it but mine just looks drab. If it was silver, that would be great. I think that looks so pretty! Good luck with your new diet. I hope it works out wonderfully for you!

The new warp is beautiful! Can't wait to see what you weave with it! :-)

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...

I have 15 lbs around my middle that is a stubborn hanger-on-er. I have never even glanced at WW, I wonder if it's time.

La Petite Gallery said...

Well Lady, the grass doesn't grow under your feet.
I am going to stop the blonde bit too and just let it be gray. I have to lose 30 lbs, and the
Chantix and meloxicam, keep me up at nite and I snack. OPPPs
Good luck yvonne great music

claudia said...

I went all natural with my hair years ago, with a plan. As soon as my hair is all white, I am putting an electric blue streak in it. Just something to help me look forward to the graying!
My oldest daughter was in WW when they changed to the newest program. She didn't like it, but I believe that is because she doesn't really like change. I'm glad you said something about it and that it is positive. That's what I needed to get me back in the "rooms"!
Love the hot pink, Can't wait to see the weaved results.

Valerie said...

Loved the ponderings in this post.

My favorite sentence, which really ties the whole post together: "All I have to do now is tie it on."

So many times we work so hard toward our goals, but then we get to that point and we just don't "tie it on".

Best wishes to you on your journey to 25 lbs. lighter and some hot pink shawls!

Sharon said...

I have been so looking forward to reading your blog all week and now Alexia is asleep, albeit coughing, I get to savor the posts. You so often speak to my state of life, and once again, are right on.

I started keeping track of my weight and measurements a couple of years ago. It's like having a body possessed. With no avenue of exercise, I've lost ground on my goals. You know what chaps my hide, our age group are supposedly in a disposable income group but do you see any fashion magazines addressing our dilemmas?

Welcome to my world.

Because every thread counts

Because every thread counts