Pages

Crazy as a Loom

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Oatmeal and a little tutorial.

Ah, oatmeal.  I love to start my day with it.

I just heard of another interesting breakfast that I am going to try.  You put about 1/4 cup oatmeal in a microwave safe dish, and put a cored apple in the middle of it.  Put a teaspoon (or so) of maple syrup down the center of the apple, add 1/2 cup of water, cover with a napkin, and microwave for 2-3 minutes.
Doesn't that sound awesome?
I'll let you know how it turns out.

My first job this morning was to reconcile Quick Books.  I hate to pay an accountant to do it.  And I am stubborn enough to work at it until I get it.
It's kind of like balancing your check book, and once I got used to navigating around, I decided I could do it myself.


TA DA, I did it.

Now on to the tote bags.
Here they are, all wound up and waiting for me.
First thing, pin the hemmed edges.

Now you don't have to use a needle container, but it is the perfect size to measure the corners with.  You can cut a cardboard template if you want.
I mark all four corners.

 And no, there is no reason to have two different kinds of pins.


Then I sew across the corners to make the bottom square.

Someone asked about my sewing machine.....it is a Necchi, and it works so well, because it is a gear driven machine, not a belt driven machine.




Six done.  Six to go.



I chose several different colored straps.  This is all vintage material from old rugs that I washed, then washed again, then took apart, and rewove.  If that's a word.  Rewove.

Somehow I like the idea of making these "original carpet bags" out of these old rugs, rather than making them into rugs again.  A new life, so to speak.


I have more old rugs to be torn apart.  Not sure how many bags I want to make though.
Any other ideas???
You have to admit, they have a lovely "used" look to them.  They look friendly.
And yes, I know, I am crazy.
But good Lord, it's fun.


12 comments:

re'New said...

OK< Now these I REALLY like! Love the more "earthy" colors!

TexWisGirl said...

I love the natural tones too! Beautiful! Of course, I love your feline helper too!

Lili said...

You just have the best ideas, these are so lovely! And the oatmeal recipe sounds pretty good too. ~Lili

Lona said...

Rewove = resurrected. I like 'em.

joyceetta said...

Hilary....I think these may be my favorite bags so far......love the soft, antiquey (another new word!) earthy colors.

deborah said...

Oh loving these bags! The colors are timeless

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...

All your totes are great! I think they would sell REALLY well at farmers markets! - very sturdy for bringing home produce!

La Petite Gallery said...

Wonderful colors and they look so sturdy.

Have a great week.

yvonne

Cait Throop said...

Totally in love with your bags! xo

Unspoken said...

They are lovely. And yes, the oatmeal looks yummmmy!

Sharon said...

They're wonderful - Bagapalooza!! (I liked the orange one best too.)

Judy said...

I love the soft colors of your bags and the colorful straps that you sewed on them! Does your sewing maching have a higher clearance for sewing thick material?

Oatmeal-so good for you. We love to eat it with cranberries infused with blueberry juice with a bit of lemon extract and cinnamon added. Yum. Years ago a woman in my husband's office heard that I made oatmeal for breakfast and she told him that I didn't love him if I made him oatmeal :-) We still laugh about that....

Welcome to my world.

Because every thread counts

Because every thread counts