Pages

Crazy as a Loom

Friday, February 11, 2011

Wow.

Aw, I am humbled by all your kind words.   If I ever wondered if anyone was reading my blog, I certainly will never wonder again.  You have no idea how sweet it is to hear that you all love what I do. 

To hear that I helped to encourage weaving with my potholder loom, that I made a little girl's day with a twirly skirt made from leftover jeans.......well, winter just doesn't feel so cold, if you know what I mean.
We could do one of those "priceless" commercials.  Cause that's what it is: priceless.
Some of you have remarked about my generous giveaway.  The truth of the matter is, I'M the winner here.   My little giveaway is nothing, compared to the generosity of heart and spirit that  you bring to my blog.
I thank you.

When the pipes to the kitchen sink froze a couple of weeks ago, I had to clean out the cupboard under the sink, so I could attempt to thaw them out, and when I did, I found this.
I have no idea how long I have had it.   But I found some batteries, and then we put the remote out in the kitty solar house.
So while it is 58 degrees in my kitchen.......old farm houses, ya gotta love em........it is 23 degrees in the solar house.  If Bubbalee or Bunnynose were to get in there, the temp would go up quite quickly.
Just one of the entertainment factors here in Kingsbury. Just so you know.


Now, in the course of all the weaving done at Crazy as a Loom, there are lots of partial spools of warp left over.  They accumulate, and accumulate.


So in an effort to reduce the clutter, and to use up good warp that is a tad annoying because none of them are full rolls, we used up about half a box of them putting on two warps.  It feels so good to USE things up, and not throw them out.
And it makes a nice warp.
This is going to be placemats, and smaller bags.  We put 50 yards on, so there is enough for both.

Oh, look, here's a bag now!!!  
And another one!  The weft on this one is leftover from an antique rug I tore apart.

The day was not all easy.  My Necchi sewing machine, the mainstay of my tote construction, is on the fritz.  I got a thread caught in the bobbin, and by the time I got  out what I could, it wasn't working anymore.  My cousin came over, and we took it apart, but to no avail.  I am stupid   fearless about taking it apart, even though I don't have a clue.
This machine will sew the seams of these big bags, like no other small machine.  The reason is that it is GEAR driven, and not BELT driven.  I bought it at KMart, when a salesman did a demo.  I told him if he could sew these two sides of a tote together, I would buy  it. ( I brought the thickess one I had :)
It did, and I did.
But right now, it is NOT driven, so it is off to the repair shop in the morning.  I hope it isn't gone long.


But the best part of my day, other than reading all your encouraging comments, was this.
All packed up, and ready to go, an order.  But this was an order for rugs on the shelf, rugs I have already made.  That's the best.  Making what I want to make, what moves me, what I love, creating them as I go, and having someone buy them off my web site.  It reaffirms my decision to "consider custom orders".  Period.
It was like a voice from the universe,  "Do what you love, girl.....do what you love."

13 comments:

Acorn to Oak said...

Oooh...I love all the colors in the warp and on your shuttle! It looks great! I can imagine how good it must feel to use up a bunch of scraps to make something beautiful! I always enjoy that! :-)

TexWisGirl said...

I'm really looking forward to seeing lots more of your wonderful works! :)

deborah said...

Love all the colors of the warp! So bright and cheerful for a cold winter's day-

JC said...

I didn't comment on yesterdays blog. Read it though. I love your blog. Such color and your cat ... well, you just keep me entertained. I love your rugs. Been thinking I might need to get one soon. Enjoy your weekend ....

Gayle said...

Love that you share so many photos. What a perfect place to put your outdoor thermometer. Your thoughts and photos are always the end of my computer day, seems just right! Those leftover spools, if I were still in the classroom, I'd love to have them. Kids can think of such fun things to do with "stuff".
Rest well.

claudia said...

What a difference between your kitchen and the solar house! That kind of stuff does entertain me!
Love the warp colors of the "using it up" threads. What a good feeling to use every single thing that is usable. It makes such good sense.
I just received my Kromski Harp Table Loom. After I catch up with the blogs I follow, I am going to go put it together and start figuring out how to warp it. I an't wait!!!

claudia said...

That was I CAN'T wait.

PenelopeRose said...

How fantastic that you can use up the left over spools for warp and a beautiful one at that. Hope your machine is feeling better soon. Have a great weekend!

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...

Amen, sista.

Heritage Farm Village said...

hi there, i am your newest follower and i love your header! the colors are so inviting! here's hoping you get your machine back soon. we have a lovely person who teaches weaving here at the farm and will be putting on a class in a few months. your little female cat is adorable...kitties are so special. jill

KarenInTheWoods said...

Yup... the last warp I wound was every color under the sun from leftover spools too. Plus I use them up for hems and headers too.

I also give my empty cores to the daycare center, the elementary school and the library to use for crafts... perfect for inside of finger puppets!

(and I do know a certain bad doggie of mine who uses the empty cores for chew toys..... ahem!)

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Karen and Steve
(Our Blog) RVing: Small House... BIG Backyard
http://kareninthewoods-kareninthewoods.blogspot.com/

Vicki Rapanault said...

Hi Hillary,
I revisit your blog often, it's like meditation, relaxing, grounding, reminds me of our Halloween weaving weekend, and I love your recipes!
I would love a fabric rug! Vicki Rapanault in CT

Hilary said...

Very cool all around. :)

Welcome to my world.

Because every thread counts

Because every thread counts