Pages

Crazy as a Loom

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Them's the breaks.

I set out to the studio today with a plan. I was going to warp two looms for the weaving weekend.
It was raining, and there was just me and the cats....all SIX of them.
But while winding the warp on for placemats, I noticed this.

From september

And on further investigation, this.
From september

My handymand, the one who built the porch, stopped by to say hello, and he tried to fix the break.
But it just wasn't going to happen with the warp on.
So eventually, I gave up, and cut it off. It made me want to cry.
From september

He fixed the broken sectional piece, and left me to my misery.
Start over from square 1.
I mumbled a lot to myself.
At some point I realized that it was the 30th of the month, and I dashed off through the rain to pay my taxes. I wasn't the only one.
Tomorrow will be another busy day. I have to shop for the weaving weekend, finish tying on the second warp that I managed to get wound on, and finish cleaning up.
Luckily, these little guys are going home with Tammy for the weekend.......yay.
From september

She may be the official feral kitty socializer. The position is open.
Once they are touchable, and cuddly, I may be able to find homes for them. Sydney has already made it quite clear that she doesn't need any competition for attention.

Which brings me to a subject that I feel I must mention.
It's indifference.
Everyone says how wonderful it is that I am saving these cats. That it is the right thing to do.
But for the most part, people really want to look the other way.
Now I know you who are reading this blog, can't pop on over and take a kitten, or even help me with them. Many of you have told me that you wished you did live closer. And that is very nice to hear. I wish you did, too.
But for the most part, the sad truth is that the majority of the population does not want to hear about the feral cat population. They don't want to know that feral cats exist because irresponsible people all over the world abandon their unneutered cats, and these cats have kittens that become feral. And on and on.
They don't want to know that the life expectancy of a cat in the wild is about 2 years.
Many people will drop cats off 'near a farm', because they think that the cat will be fine there.
That is so not true. Most farmers are plagued by stray cats, and they do not feed them.
The life of a feral cat is horrific, and the life of a stray cat, who has known the comfort of a home of its own, is frightening.
That is why I get involved. It isn't because it's fun. It isn't because I have nothing to do. It's because I believe that we should be accountable, and I guess it should start with me.

I have had an offer from a good friend to foster the kittens over the weekend, and Tammy, my once apon a time apprentice, just took them home with her, so she can try to socialize them for me. She could be the cat whisperer with a little work.
She is a hero in my book, let me tell you.
This whole subject reminds me of a poem that I love.
By John Fowles.
It is called Amor Vacui.

Six feet from my window the blackbirds
Weave their nest. Such irony. I am
So much more willing than they dream
To care, to wall their world from death.
Or is it one more cunningness?
Suppose they came tapping on the glass,
Asking for wool, for worms, for wire
To protect them from the cats?
One day we should grow too close,
I should tot up the cost of song.

Much better this haunted, helpless air,
This mystery between us.


My favorite line............."I should tot up the cost of song."
Says it all, doesn't it?

9 comments:

Lona said...

What a heartbreak, to see the cracked beam and the cut-off warp. Ugh.

We are farmers, and have our own share of feral and once-feral cats--all dumped off or wandered over. It's a continuing struggle to keep up with the spaying and neutering needs. And yes, we do feed them daily. We find they are better mousers if they are healthy.

I do NOT wish I lived closer, unlike most of your blog readers, as we have quite enough of our own (upwards of 9 "fixed" cats and the two newest feral moms and their recent litters). There is a limit to what each of us can do.

Best wishes.

claudia said...

I have taken in a share of "ranch" cats that my daughter would bring home from the ranch she worked on. They were all spayed, neutered and whatever else they needed when I get them and then sent to a friend who had great connections to finding them all good homes.
It was always heartbreaking to get these cats and kittens (mainly). Bet on the other side of the coin heartwarming to know they landed with their forever families.

Carrie said...

Hilary, I've been reading a while but haven't commented much (if at all). First off, my heart goes out to you on the broken beam--so sad!. As for the kittens, what you're doing *is* wonderful. I know first-hand as my husband and I have the unofficial position of neighborhood cat catcher/neuterer. We love animals and there are a number of feral cats in the neighborhood. We get the haveaheart traps out once a year and take any newcomers in for spaying/neutering.

We haven't been able to socialize any of them, mainly because we don't have any indoor space to isolate them, so we release back to the alley where we found them. We feed them and they have shelter in winter (My husband built a cat house that's heated by Christmas lights). The life of a feral cat is not good, but at least we can help limit the number of cats living that life, and try to make things easier for the ones who are already here.

Theresa said...

As an owner of the proverbial farm where cats sometimes get dropped off, I can identify. Locally they do have a wonderful program for feral cats to rehome them as barn kitties. I have two. I wasn't looking for pets, I was looking for mousers and these two are perfect. But regardless of whether they are in or outside critters, they still get the best vet care I can provide. They get shots, worming and if they should be sick or injured, I can hold both of them to get in a crate for a trip. It IS pitiful that more folks don't take care of neuters and spays. Good gosh, campaigns for doing just that are over 20 years old now. You would think people would have gotten the message.
Bummer on the sectional beam, but how provident that someone could fix it today!

Tiggeriffic said...

You are amazing~! Someday I'm going to come to your area and look you up..and pay you a visit.. Glad to hear the cats are being well taken care of and in good hands.. Thank Tammy. Maybe when you get them back she will have them tamed and ready for homes.
It was frightning to see all that warp on the floor.. Oh my, I felt bad for you.. Glad that the handy man showed up and was able to fix your loom.
Glad you got your taxes paid.. I got mine paid couple days ago.. Whew~!
Have a great week-end... Ta Ta For Now...

FabShabbyRoses said...

Ah so frustrating...I can imagine..2 steps forward 5 steps back. So sorry to hear about the break..It is a wonderful thing you do for the kitties. I can imagine that they are very thankful for a caring hand. And they are beautiful. You are also so fortunate to have such good friends! Carolyn

Gayle said...

All of our kitties have been rescue kitties. We now have three but until recently had three and one half. Vinnie was an outside boy, refused to be an indoor cat. He shared us with the neighbors across the street, who called him Lucky. He answered to both.

Eons ago a wealthy woman left money for Friends of Cats in San Diego County. It is a big, ol' house where kitties roam. Most are adoptable, some are not. There is a cancer wing. I wish all communities had one of these.

Hilary, there is a plaque hanging in Kitty Heaven with your name on it.
{{{}}}

Lynn said...

Oh, my, that cracked beam is a horror! I'd say more, but there's an excessively friendly cat (who was abandoned near my house as a kitten) between me and the screen. You know how it is....

Lorna said...

Sorry about the beam and the kitties that need homes. I live in a condo community but feed stray cats when I can. Hugs to you for the good you do.

Welcome to my world.

Because every thread counts

Because every thread counts