Pages

Crazy as a Loom

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Closing the pool

Remember the loom that was given to me recently?

From Untitled Album


As hard as I tried, I couldn't figure out how to get this loom working. I know it is possible, but it would require that I devote some time, maybe a lot of time, and that is one thing I just don't have.
So I made the decision to gift it to someone else, someone close enough to pick it up, and someone with enough knowledge, and motivation, to get it operational.
I felt a little bad at first, then a good friend, and old weaver, said this to me..........that if you match up a loom with no home, and a willing weaver, you've done a good job.
So that's that.
And I thank him for helping me let that go.
I am always a little sad right around this time of year. It's time to close the pool. There is no sense keeping it open any longer. The nights are so cool, the pool temperature drops dramatically.
From Crazy as a Loom

I kind of hate to say goodbye.
It makes me especially sad, because it may be the last year that my pit bull Eddie swims in the pool.
From the time he arrived at my door 12 years ago, he has launched himself into the pool, and swum madly in circles. When the kids are jumping in the pool, he is right there jumping in with them.
From Crazy as a Loom


Up until this year, we have usually had to stop him, and take him inside when he got too tired. He wouldn't stop swimming on his own.
From Crazy as a Loom

This year, he only swam in the pool a handful of times, and he didn't stay in long. His old arthritic bones just said no.

From Crazy as a Loom


He is totally deaf now. His eyesight isn't the best. We make sure to touch him a lot, whenever I talk to him, I touch him, so he doesn't feel isolated in his silence.

From Crazy as a Loom

I know life changes, and I know he can't stay around forever.
From Crazy as a Loom

I am not ashamed to say he sleeps with me every night.
He is a bed hog.
He is sleeping next to me on the couch, while I write. Every now and then I reach out and stroke his leg. Sometimes he raises his head, and looks at me. Sometimes, he just sighs.
I am crazy about this dog, I'm telling you.
I have no idea what I will do without him.
Every day he is still here with me, is a good day. Pure and simple.
He has been a dear, sweet companion and friend. I can't believe my good fortune.
Yes, we have given him a good life, but we're the lucky ones.

From Crazy as a Loom






10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your blog. I am at the same point with my Boxer, Jesse. He is 12 1/2 years old, has arthritis in his back legs, can't hear and has lymphoma. The vet said the lymphoma is painless and there's nothing to give him for it. He said it will eventually spread to his liver and that will be it. I dread the day and know just how your are feeling about your Eddie. Their life is too short no matter how long they live.

A Brit in Tennessee said...

He's a handsome gentleman !
I understand the unconditional love and companionship our pets afford us, and is one of the saddest things we have to endure when it is time to say goodbye..
I hope he is around for many more years swimming in that beautiful pool ;)

Hilary said...

Oh you're making me cry. You may just have more years with your Eddie than you think.

Frank's sister Theresa's dog (the elder of two sheep dogs) is 18. He looks like death and doesn't smell great. He's deaf, unable to get up on his own about 50% of the time. One of his legs shakes all the time. He can walk/stumble downstairs but not up. He's often carried outside to pee. There are still a few indoor cleanups required daily. I have to admit that I glance over at him when he sleeps to see if he's still breathing.

BUT he's as happy as a clam. His appetite is good. He stumbles over for pats. There have been a few occasions over the years when she thought he would be euthanized before the day was out but so far he has always rallied and hung on for a few more months.. a few more years. He's a great dog. That unconditional love keeps some of them going for a long time.

Please give him a scratch behind the ears for me.

JC said...

I'm sorry your dog is getting older. My girl has this trouble and that but I keep her going at least for now.

Anonymous said...

As pets owners we know that we will most likely outlive our pets. It will, one day, be our responsibility to sit with them in our arms(soothing them while we quietly are crying) while their life long veterinarian gives them the shot that lets them slip painlessly into doggy heaven. It is also our responsiblity as a loving pet owner to take into consideration THEIR quality of life. Falling down and wetting themselves has to be taken under consideration as dogs, like us, also feel shame.

Sojourner Design said...

Hilary,
With all the cat photos I'm so glad to see that you have a dog! And what a sweetie. One of my dogs is 13 and quite hard-of-hearing; I like the idea of frequent touching, and will try that. He's a little guy, and often sleeps under my big Glimakra.

Diane

Theresa said...

Oh Hilary, I know exactly how you feel. Some days those thoughts just catch you off guard. Morning and night I take my oldster out for a special walk of his own. I don't always want to go, but then I think, it could be his last, let's make it a good one. The nose works fine even if the ears and eyes fail him sometimes
Give Eddie a big hug from me will ya.

re'New said...

My daughter had a quarter pony - one day I realized he couldn't see anymore. We don't know if it came on slowly or quickly, but he was fine if the radio was playing in the barn so he could orient himself. But then came the day when he couldn't hear anymore. Being a horse and having the flight instinct - made his life terrifying. When he sensed "something" was close, it was a very scary thing for him until he knew who/what was close. My daughter at 11 told me it was time to help him go. The young are sometimes better at acceptance than we are...

bspinner said...

You have been blessed to be Eddie's human and in his heart I'm sure he loves you as much as you love him.

Where did summer go?

Anonymous said...

Love that dog!

Welcome to my world.

Because every thread counts

Because every thread counts