Pages

Crazy as a Loom

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Checking in

From autumn


I sure wish some of you lived closer!!!
I can tell right now we could have a hootenanny or something.
What the hay was a hootenanny, anyway? And more importantly, why did that word pop into my brain?
Yikes.
Anyway, if some of you lived closer, we could have a good time, cleaning loopers and chatting it up.
But you don't.
l did do Craig's list again, and I have 2 lovely individuals coming tomorrow at 9am. We shall see.
Wish me luck.
I recently gave a bed from the studio to someone in the family who needed it. My husband told me that soon I would need it, and I poo-pooed him.
But of course, he was right, and now I need it for a weaving weekend.
But luckily, my friend an hour north had one she was moving out, so we went to fetch it this morning.
Then I went searching for a piece of furniture to help me get more organized at the studio. I needed a more substantial place for my cash register, and big girl credit card machine. I was in luck. I found exactly the thing.
Then on to my daughters, for a family dinner.
But I haven't really taken a day off in weeks, so as Miss Puss says, 'I am exhausted.'
Other than people to help with this thread/looper cleaning project, I am trying to figure out a way to do it better. I tried the dryer, and that doesn't work well. But it seems to me that there must be some mechanical way to separate the chaff from the good.
Maybe it will come to me.
To be continued.










6 comments:

Country Girl said...

You're right. Any number of us would help if we lived closer. Hey. I just noticed your orange clock. That's fun.
Shows you how observant I am; it's probably been there a year or more, hasn't it?!

Hilary said...

I think we'd have a blast de-threading together.

I'm not sure just how loose or resistant these threads are but how about trying to employ one of the following:

• Hair brush or pet brush to snag some of the loose threads.

• The rough side of Velcro to catch them.

• Masking tape wrapped around your hand, sticky side out.

• Or a lighter adhesive as is used with sticky notes.

• One of those reversible brushes for cleaning off lint.. put a few loops around your hand and sweep them over the brush.

Sweetpea said...

Yup...would've helped. And would have loved the chatting-it-up part since there's NOTHIN like good camaraderie!

Need A Latte Mom said...

Good old fashioned picking.
If you come up with something let me know.
The dryer just makes knots.

WeaveThings said...

I would help too. And you know, you got me thinking about a hootenanny too. So I had to look it up.

From Wikipedia:

~ "Hootenanny is an Appalachian colloquialism that was used in early twentieth century America to refer to things whose names were forgotten or unknown. In this usage it was synonymous with thingamajig or whatchamacallit, as in "hand me that hootenanny." Hootenanny was also an old country word for "party". Now, most commonly, it refers to a folk-music party."

I think our hootenanny would certainly be a party!

And this reminds me of something my mother says to this day - that she got from her mother. "Hurrah's Nest" as in HOO-rahs nest. Growing up, my sister, brother and I would always ask mom what is a hurrahs nest? She would just say she didn't know, it was something her mom would say to describe something that was in disarray - like our bedrooms :)

I found this about it from The Word Detective:

~ "A "hurrah's nest" is indeed a terrible mess or scene of commotion and confusion, and the phrase dates back to at least the early 19th century. The "hurrah" involved is the same "hurrah" we shout when the home team wins, a cheer of exultation that dates back to around 1686. "Hurrah" has close relatives in several European languages and was probably (like the earlier "huzza") developed from the throaty shouts of soldiers charging into battle.

In 19th century America, "hurrah" came into use as slang noun for "an uproar, a commotion," and anything wild and lawless was described as "hurrah." With "hurrah" meaning "disordered," it made sense for something very, very tangled or disorderly to be described as a "hurrah's nest," as if the "hurrah" were a creature with bad housekeeping habits. There is some evidence that "hurrah's nest" was first used by sailors to describe a tangle of lines aboard ship."

Hope this comment isn't too long... :)

WeaveThings said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Welcome to my world.

Because every thread counts

Because every thread counts