Pages

Crazy as a Loom

Friday, April 6, 2012

Yup, another day trip.


One of the best parts of being a weaver, is the wonderful circle of weaving friends and acquaintances I have made.

Today, L & M and I  took a little trip to Vermont, to visit a weaver I originally met years ago at a show.


It was a marvelous day for a drive, windy, a little cool, but with tons of sun.


She lives out in the country, with a view of Lake Champlain.

Her house is quirky and fun, and filled with the most awesome light you can imagine.
Her loom sits above the living room.


The loom is an AVL with a flying shuttle.  It was awesome.


Be still my heart.


The flying shuttle makes for some pretty speedy weaving.


She also makes double binding rugs, which I was particularly interested in.


They have a fantastic  masonry stove with double chimneys.


What an incredible place to have your morning coffee!



This stove is so unique.....can you see the upside down pie plate behind the tree???



No home is complete without a pup, and a beauty at that.  And yes, that is a blue eye.


L and I definitely have double binding rugs in our future......like next week.  We have the Cranbrook empty and ready.


I think it is going to be an adventure, and I can't wait.


This is her Toika, that she uses for rugs.


Now I'm exhausted, but I can't think of a better reason that the one I have.......spending the day with good friends, and satisfying my loom lust.

Oh, and by the way, I went a little crazy and got my hair cut.  It kind of reminds me of the haircut
'Twiggy' had back in the 60's.
Unfortunately I am not that thin, and I can't find my go go boots.
Crap.







12 comments:

Deb said...

What a wonderful home, so bright and oozing with personality. I'm glad you had a day doing what you love. I had a twiggy cut many moons ago, too. I'm afraid we'd be labelled 'hoarders' if the go-go boots still sat in the closet. Well, time to wish you and yours a very Happy Easter. Hugs, Deb

claudia said...

Love your hair cut! That will be great for summer. Thanks for taking us along on your trip. What a beautiful home yor friend has, wonderful views. I'm in love with her puppy!

Anonymous said...

Love her hose...love you too, Twiggy. Gosh how I loved her back in the day. She was my idol. Have a wonderful week-end!!!

Anonymous said...

Actually I didn't see her hose, but I do love her house. LOL

Unknown said...

Your hair looks nice, and I could find a place for that stove.
:-)

Cait Throop said...

I like your hair, too!! And Twiggy...sigh. Those were the days! What a house! I love the view and the light and those looms...oh my! Have to branch out one of these days and weave a rug. Hope your headache is receeding!

Kathy said...

Funny, we all have our own opinion of 'out in the country'! Isn't it fun to get together with people of our own mindset/needlework preferences? And when they live in such interesting places, it's even better! I love that her house is really her home...with lots of HER and the Family things in it! The quirks and personalizations just make it HOME, and visitors are welcomed and can feel comfortable. Now...about your hair...if you don't like it, it's OK...we are lucky that hair can grow back!
Have a lovely 'North Country' kind of day!

Loomatic said...

Loom Lust, Studio Lust, Talent lust....I think you started something!

I too find weavers are the happy ones that are keen to pass on the knowledge of weaving. It is a solitary hobby that is very social!

Thank you for sharing this with us! What an inspiration & I can't wait to see what you and L whip up next week!

Shuttle, Hook and Needle said...

I have a 16 harness, 60 inch Compu Dobby AVL with a fly shuttle and double warp beams . It is a monster of a loom! I wish my AVL was like the loom she had with treadles and no dobby.
I loved the pictures. Vermont is a state I have visited once and want to go back again. It was wonderful and I wanted to move there but it is too far from my children.
You take the most wonderful day trips! Thank you for taking us with you.
Louise

Franny V said...

Loom and house lust, big time!!! Especially the AVL. I love the sound of the flying shuttle.

We share the same haircut/color. Mine came about recently after having to have a bad haircut cut down to nothing in order to get a decent shape. I've decided to keep it short and it's so nice. No bother, no blow dryer.

Cupcake Murphy said...

Love your hair. And that dog is magical.

Sharon said...

That house is fantastic. It's hard to imagine having enough space for both those looms, and all that light - on my. Dreams do come true.

Welcome to my world.

Because every thread counts

Because every thread counts