Pages

Crazy as a Loom

Sunday, April 29, 2012

A little pat on the back.



Yesterday I treated myself to not only a day off, but to something I have wanted to do for quite a while.
I took a photography workshop, with Carl Heilman, a well known, and incredibly talented, photographer who lives in the area.
The course was given at the Adirondack Folk School,  in Lake Luzerne, N.Y.
It started at 12 noon, and went to 8pm.  It was about 3-4 hours of class room, and the rest outside with our cameras.  There were 10 of us.
I have had my Nikon D 40 for a few years, but I admit, I have not really known how to use it.  I mostly used Auto, without the flash, and took a ton of photos, and hoped for the best.

All the pictures you are about to see, are straight out of the camera, they have not been tweaked one tiny bit.  They were all taken on Aperture priority, which may not be too impressive to some, but since I have never taken one photo previously that didn't turn out totally BLACK, it is a big deal to me.

So without further ado, here they are, without any chatter.
(Lake Luzerne btw is a gorgeous, absolutely beautiful, little town, and I highly recommend it, and the school)






































Tell me I did good.
I did, right??


20 comments:

grace lovelace said...

wow you did real good... some of the pictures look like paintings..you are fabulous.
oh i found both the write ups about
the double binding technique
in my weaving books!

mudmaven said...

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!!! Wonderful shots of gorgeous scenery. Love all of them but especially the mossy waterfall! ~chris

Cait Throop said...

Very impressive!!! I, too, love the mossy wall one and the cobblestones, too! I'm going to be down there Fri-Sun at Paul Newman's camp for children...Every year there is camp for cancer survivors and it is so beautiful! Your photos are so frameable!

Need A Latte Mom said...

Good Job!
Once you start shooting out of auto you will be amazed at the potential of your photos.

claudia said...

Wow! You did real good!
What a fun day!

Country Girl said...

Good for you! The flowing water shots look like you slowed down the shutter speed which is cool. I am so impressed! Way to go, girl ~

Trish said...

Better than good!!
(And perhaps you did not take a day "off" but instead took a day "different")

Ruth Ann in OK said...

Lady, you did real good! I think well, that is my favorite, then I see another. Love the mountain and stream shots. I can almost hear the running water. Ruth Ann

Anonymous said...

ya done good! I need to take a photo class too. Learn what all those knobs and settings are for. :-))

Gayle said...

Man oh man, you did better than good!
Whew-eeee!
Thanks for sharing with us.
{{}}

Mary said...

You did really good.

Valerie said...

You did wonderfully good! Nothing like a class to take you out of the box.

You might like http://www.beyondthefieldsweknow.org/ for a little daily inspiration. She is one of my morning clicks.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful shots. But, I've enjoyed all the shots you post. Even if they didn't use the full capabilities of your camera.

Daryl said...

Good? these are pretty wonderful shots .. I always use P mode but I may try A ... I am especially liking the water shots .. all that movement .. lovely

thotlady said...

Very good.

Hilary said...

You absolutely did. :) I still never play with aperture. I stick with shutter speed and let the aperture take care of itself. I love the flowing water shot.

sandy said...

Way good!!

Deb said...

Impressive! Now I can't wait to see more. Deb

Lydia La La said...

To be quite honest, I prefer your earlier shots. They are clearer and the colour truer. Maybe how they turned out was the effect you were after. I'm just a point and shoot kinda girl and it works. BUT... I would love to do a class like you and learn how my camera really works!

I'm glad you did something different for yourself too. How's that nasty headache? Going, going, gone soon. xo

Sharon said...

Those are fabulous Hilary - I love them all. Look at the rich colors you've captured. I've gotten lazy and haven't used aperture priority in years. When I did it, I also had the film speed to factor in. You inspire me to take my camera for a walk - I appreciate the challenge.

Welcome to my world.

Because every thread counts

Because every thread counts