Pages

Crazy as a Loom

Sunday, April 15, 2012

The truth will out.


You want the whole story, don't you??
Well,  while we were on our jaunt on Friday, we had to stop for some lunch. 
We decided on a little 'fine dining'.



This was the view from our table.
The food was divine.  Vermont cheddar soup.  Spinach salad with roasted beets, blue cheese and pecans.
Tiny bite size scones and little slices of home made bread.
Yum.

The salvage store is in White River Junction, Vt, for those of you who asked.


The restaurant is in Quechee.  
It is Simon Pierce.
They had a potter and a glass blower on the lower level, but it was still under renovations since Irene hit last summer.
Simon Pierce makes lovely glassware, and dishes, and LAMPS.


Their shop is just lovely.


Again, I wanted one of each, but my treat for the day was yarn, even though I already have tons of yarn already.  It is part of my addiction.



The wooden bowl would look awesome with a big, green salad in it, but $375 was a tad more than I could bear to spend for it.


So it does look like we were just on a fun filled jaunt, doesn't it?


We did have a lovely day.
We talk the miles away.  Isn't that what good friends are supposed to do?
We solve world problems.  Or at least some of them.



We have impeccable taste when we shop.


This is the upper level of Simon Pierce, it used to house a weaver, but now it is pretty empty.
They have private dinner parties here.


It was a lovely ride home.


Country roads. Farm houses, old barns.


As we were careening down this particular road.......and no, I wasn't driving, I tried to get this picture.


I would rather ride, so I can keep my camera at hand, which my BFF says is attached to me.


All of a sudden, my friend let out a squeal!!!
She is a shepherdess, you see.
And there were not just sheep out in this meadow, but there were so many lambs, we couldn't count them.
Look closely.......near every large sheep you will see two or three little ones.


And now for the truth.



I have a confession to make.


This was not just a mindless wanderlust into Vermont, although there is nothing wrong with that.

I really had something in mind, and had a plan.


Yes, I confess......I went to pick up another loom........what?  #17?
Who's counting??


And this is no ordinary loom.....oh, no.
It is the exact same loom I have in the old kitchen....a Reed Ideal.......minus the production wheel.


My Ideal has 750 yards of black warp on it.   Wouldn't it be nice to have one with 750 yards of WHITE on it?


 You know where this is going, don't you??



Sorry for the long post, I didn't realize the 'truth' would take so long to tell.  :)

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love turned wooden bowls as well as old dough bowls. I sure can't afford some of the prices asked on them though... I try second hand shops and hope one day to get a lucky find on one.

Looks like you really had a great day!

Linda said...

Hilary,
You have so much fun on your outings and picking up a loom is icing on the cake!

The Cat Guy said...

Goodness, I miss that area! My folks live not far from there and they have a house full of looms. Mom's favorite is a big old barn loom that takes up a full room - it's huge! Can on ever have too many?

Lona said...

Hopeless! Simply hopeless! What a lovely day... And despite my opening comments, I consider that you are rescuing not only feral cats, but unwanted looms, too. And that is a wonderful public service.

Cait Throop said...

OMG you are HOPELESS!!! And I'm still laughing! Oh Hilary...so good to have a sense of the future. You so need another loom! hahahahahahaha...love it!!! xo

sandy said...

Aaaah!! You were holding out,eh!
Enjoyed the post!

Sue said...

Nothing wrong with enjoying yourselves on the way to pick up the loom! Multi-tasking at its best.

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...

Ah, but the truth will set you free. Actually, in this case, it's just giving you more work. you're nutz :-)

Jill of All Trades said...

Oh, oh, oh, I recognize those pictures, or some of them. We were there last in October. We stopped at Simon Pierce but didn't get to eat. It was a bus tour so we were on a tight schedule. It was a beautiful trip.

Need A Latte Mom said...

I am so jealous of how much warp you can put on that loom.

Daryl said...

oh my ...which do you have more of .. cats or looms?

Times like this, posts like this I get upset that I didnt take all the kitchen items from my parents condo before we sold it .. mom had two well used wooden bowls .. damn

Anonymous said...

The truth will set you free! Love the new loom. You are crazy you know. hugs

Janice said...

Idle curiosity on the part of the Reed Ideal...is that some genius idea someone had to make room for 750 yards of warp? or does the loom come that way? I sure modified my share of looms in my lifetime and the only thing that made me happy was the creel with all the warp threads i needed to weave forever until the tube ran out and I had to change it.

Firefly Farm said...

Loom Magnet!

Welcome to my world.

Because every thread counts

Because every thread counts