Pages

Crazy as a Loom

Friday, May 27, 2011

Walk with me.

The days are longer when you don't sleep.  That is not usually an affliction of mine.
I wondered if it was the shot of cortisone, or the wild storm, or both.
I woke up at 3am, and at 6am decided to have some cereal and give up the quest.
So it has been a long, long day.

The kittens have been to the vet, two boys and two girls, they have been wormed, they are flea and ear mite FREE.  They all weigh between 1.3 lbs, and 1.9 lbs, which the vet said is perfect for 6 weeks.  She said that they were amazingly healthy for being born and living under a shed.
Bubbalee was a good momma, and she ate well all winter long.
They were delivered to Tammy, who has homes for two, and is working to find homes for the other two.  She is such a 'cat whisperer', that they will be just about cuddly in no time.

Today my mother went over to the studio with me, and spent the day.  It is good for her to get out of the house.
We did a little garden tour.  She was quite the gardener in her day.
She turned a bare half acre lot into an English garden.


I think that giving up her garden is what made her really angry about getting old.
The rest of it didn't much bother her.


She knew all the proper  names of all the plants and trees in her yard.


I bought this snowball bush a couple of years ago, because I always loved the one she had in her yard.  I was very happy to see how well it was doing.


I know this may sound crazy, and I may be risking my reputation as a business woman, but I don't want to make as much money this year at the studio, as I did last year.
I want to garden more, and spend more time with my family.   I don't want to be flying from one order to the next with such speed that I don't enjoy the actual weaving.
Less is more.  Sometimes that is so true.

What makes you happy?
It made me smile to see the high bush cranberries flourishing.   They too, were in my mother's garden.
The pretty flowers around the outside are sterile....they only serve to attract pollinating insects to the buds in the center, the smaller ones, that are fertile.  That is just so amazing.


Something is shifting in me of late.  I can't put my finger on it.
My perspective has changed.  A new feeling is creeping over me.
I want to pare down, simplify, live with less.  I want to get it right, this "what's important" thing.
It may be all the tragedy and death and despair that affects so many.
But suddenly, the bird that sings outside my window at 5:00 a.m. sings sweeter.
The crunch of that green salad is incredible.
The little arms that hug me around my waist are more precious than gold.


Yes, there is a mysterious wind blowing about.
Not a tornado, not a spring storm.
The breeze that blows in the window, and makes you gasp with delight.
Ah.


So, what makes you happy?


I'll bet it isn't money, or cars, or clothes, or possessions of any kind.


Oh, they're nice to have.  Sure.
But the lump in your throat, the tear in your eye,  the glow in your heart kind of happy???
Nah.


That's not what does it for you, is it?

12 comments:

Gayle said...

I love knowing the the kitties are OK. Whew! I am happy with a good book, the wind in the tops of the trees, sitting still and listening to the quiet. Frozen yogurt makes me happy, and a pb and j san. A kitty on my lap is always a good thing. I have a snowball bush in my yard, too, San Diego. We had one the whole time I was growing up. It mingles with the Meyer lemons and is so inviting.

MarthaVA said...

Sweet. Love the flowers and garden photos, but those of your mom and your granddaughter - priceless.
I am in change mode also. It's good, I guess. I love your new philosophy.
What makes me happy ~ spending time with my new granddaughter - who will be 6 months old this month. WOw. She's SO beautiful. She brings joy to my heart. She's my only grandchild. So precious. I'm so lucky to be around to know and love her. :-)
Martha

Anonymous said...

Hearing my husband laugh is what does it for me. He has such a stressful job and when he sits in front of the TV or romps in the yard with Rowdy and actually laughs out loud it makes me heart soar. He's such a serious guy and needs to laugh more than he does.

Di

fiberdance said...

I love when my 5 year old granddaughter first comes in the house and yells "Gramma"
I love the feel of clean wool fleece as I get ready to spin it.
I love to make things with my own two hands.
My only wish is that I had more time to enjoy what I love.

claudia w said...

The next to the last picture of your Mom and your Granddaughter is the most precious! I love the ear to ear smile on your Mom's face and that adoring look in your Granddaughter's eyes...Just Plain Precious!

Marsel said...

The flower pictures are just gorgeous...but the one of your mom and granddaughter laughing together is breathtaking. Lovely job capturing the moment!

Frank's Corner said...

Ah...sweet pictures! Thanks for asking the question. What makes me happy? Simple things...the purring contentment of my cats surrounding me at night, a cup of good tea, my beautiful grandchildren, the blessing of my family's well being, and the scent of honeysuckle at dawn.

Sharon said...

I hear you and those photos illustrate what you just said. Those pictures are what matters. I miss my mom.

moosecraft said...

Smiling people and laughter make me happy... along with a nice summer evening with crickets chirping about!

Country Girl said...

Happy? Well, then.
Cleaning isn't my favorite thing to do, but yesterday, in the middle of a marathon cleaning session getting ready for company today, I stopped. I stopped and realized that I was happy. Happy to have a house to clean, to have my husband outside doing the yard work, and a dog under the tree keeping vigil against the squirrels.

linda said...

For one, my coworkers make me happy. One made me LOL today when she asked if I had any crapplesauce. Nurses dole out a lotta meds in applesauce, hence the name.
Warm weather makes me happy. I'm soaking it up so I have a little in me come next (shudder) winter.
Kids. They are the best.
Your photos.

Gayle said...

Oh Hilary, Your words could be mine. Whatever it is let's embrace it. Thanks for sharing.
Another Gayle

Welcome to my world.

Because every thread counts

Because every thread counts