Pages

Crazy as a Loom

Saturday, July 25, 2009

Blue jeans and Blueberries

Today was kind of a drudge day. I had a rug to make that needs to go out on Monday, and I wanted to put a warp on for blue jeans.
I put 100 yards of warp on one of my Union looms. The warp is mixed blues, and I will be making a pile of 24"x42" blue jean rugs.
This Union loom is a bit different. The brake is on top of the sectional beam, and there is a metal brake rod right between the sectional and the back beam. Every time I warp this loom, I put the threads under the metal bar. And the tension of weaving rugs bends the metal rod to a disturbing angle. I have a mental block about it, and the last few times I have put a warp on, I have gotten half way through the very time consuming job of tying the new warp threads to the old ones, realized that I was UNDER the metal rod....AGAIN.....and in a huff, cut them off and started over.
Thus this sign.




The sign says......in case you can't make it out........DO NOT GO UNDER BAR........YOU MORON.
That is for me.
And today....I did not go under the bar......see???
Eleven sections of 100 turns each.....no wonder my shoulder is talking to me tonight.
The hot tub will sure feel good.
The hot tub was a purchase I made at least 7 years ago, and it was the best money I ever spent.


Here it is, ready to go......except for one small detail.........I have NO blue jean strips sewn together, which means a day of cutting and sewing is in order. And my jean stash is getting down.
I should put an ad in the paper.........."I take old jeans".
Then one day, I would pull into the driveway at the studio and the porch would be buried in jeans.
You know what they say, "Be careful what you ask for."


Like I said, I am easily amused...and this tickled me. There are three bird feeders right outside this window, and since I feed the birds year round, we call this kitty HBO.
It appears that Miss Puss and Kisme are sitting back, giving Jinx dibs on the best seat.

So after a long day at the studio,where I actually accomplished everything I intended.....which feels pretty good, I headed home.......
DH called me on my cell phone...what's for dinner?
Now I don't mind going to the store.....and I don't mind buying the food, and I don't mind cooking it, but one thing that drives me wild is when the people you are doing it for, namely DH and mother, cannot come up with ONE idea about what to have for dinner.
Well, in that case then, you better be prepared to have what occurs to me while strolling the aisles of Hannaford.
Which was local grown corn on the cob.
Grilled reuben sandwiches, with sauteed red cabbage instead of sauerkraut, french fries, and blueberry cobbler.
It was all quite tasty, if I do say so myself.
And I discovered that my husband and I had both bought blueberries and there was a surplus in the fridge. So I made blueberry muffins while I was at it.
I say if you are making a mess, you might as well go for the gusto.

I highly recommend this blueberry cobbler.....it was awesome! You can find the recipe over at www.sprucehill.typepad.com at the bottom of the first page.
Her photo is better, too.

And this is what I am going to be doing real soon.....reclining.
And looking at the backs of my eyelids.

4 comments:

Gail said...

Wow, and she cooks too!

Delighted Hands said...

The kitties are precious! Love the loom note-it helps. As for deciding on what to eat; it was one of our now-that-we-are-retired ideas that my DH pick out what to eat every night AND buy all the groceries-what a great 2 1/2 yrs it has been!

Hilary said...

ooh, I like that!!!!

bspinner said...

You're making me hungry. I'm glad I'm the only weaver who's gone "under the bar".
Cat's are so funny!!!

Welcome to my world.

Because every thread counts

Because every thread counts