Pages

Crazy as a Loom

Thursday, March 19, 2009

The labyrinth.


Finally, today, I walked the labyrinth. I can't believe how much I have been looking forward to this, waiting for just enough snow to melt so I could see the rocks. I walked it with my camera, and I walked very, very slowly. I love slowing my brain down and waiting to see what impressions pop up while I am walking. Taking pictures of it gave me lots of different perspectives.
The one thought that occurred to me was this. There are so many times in life when you think you are so close to the answers you are looking for, and yet they are out of reach. You go in all different directions, but try as you might, you just can't quite get there. Like the center of the labyrinth, it looks so close, and yet the path takes you away, then close again, then further away.
The labyrinth is really simple. There is one way in, and one way out. The only thing to do is to decide to enter. That's it. So simple, and yet, it seems, while you are doing it, so circuitous. Kind of like life. If you just take that first step, and trust the process, you will get there. I love the labyrinth, and I want a sign that says "where you might find the center of your heart". That's what my grandson told me it was for, and I think he is right. While I haven't advertised the labyrinth, anyone who comes to the studio is welcome to walk it. It is too good not to share.
This is the stair runner......all 240" of it, resting til next week. Then I will measure it, wind it on again, and finish it.

This red and yellow warp is for placemats. I actually rethreaded it after I wove this, so that the stripe on the right, is matched by another stripe on the left. The fabric I am using is a pale, butter yellow, with roses. I have enough warp to make 6 or 7 sets of placemats. Then I need to make some in neutral colors. I have kind of been stuck on warm colors of late.

I can't say that I have accomplished much this week. But strangely enough, I don't feel guilty about it, like I usually would. I think that age has its benefits. I am coming to think that it is not going to be as hard as I thought to manage my "retirement". As a bona fide workaholic, I have been known to have trouble taking days off. But I am committed to changing that this year.........at last. There are other things to do besides work. Really.
For starters:
I am making sun dresses for the granddaughters this week.
I am starting flower seeds.
Getting the kayaks out of the basement, and putting the racks back on my car.
Walking the dog down by the river, taking pictures.
Reading a book on photography, playing scrabble. Making plans to take some day trips with my grandchildren.
Hopefully, a weekend trip with my husband.
Yes, I have plans.
Not all work.
And it's OK.

3 comments:

Hilary said...

The labyrinth is wonderful. Did you set that up yourself or did somebody else create it. I'm guessing it was you.. seeing as you're so creative and all. It sounds like retirement is treating you nicely. I love the colours in that runner. :)

Hilary said...

Hilary....I practiced on a piece of paper...over and over til I could do it without looking, figured then I understood the concept. Then I took a can of spray paint, and painted it on the grass.....had a dump truck of stones delivered, and had at it!!!!! The kid that mows and rakes for me helped.....he was the MUSCLE....we used a lawn mower to keep the same width of path throughout....once we got started it was really amazingly easy. I am so glad you like it!

Eulalia Benejam Cobb said...

Your linking of the concepts of life and the labyrinth is terrific. I hope you "find the center of your heart" in it soon.

Welcome to my world.

Because every thread counts

Because every thread counts