Pages

Crazy as a Loom

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Just happy.

First off, let me say that I forgot ONE ingredient in the Vegetable Cheese Chowder, so if you copied it, go back quick, and fix it.



Now for the music:

Happy Birthday to me.
Happy Birthday to me.
I can't believe that I'm this OLD.
Happy Birthday to me.

SIXTY FREAKING FIVE years ago, my mother gave birth to me in the old Moses Ludington Hospital
in Ticonderoga, NY.  She stayed in the hospital for EIGHT days, for a perfectly normal birth.
 My cousin, Billy, was born on the 20th, and the nurse came out and told my father that he had a son.  He didn't.  He had a nephew.  The next day he got me.  I wonder if that's why he called me Tom until I was about 12?
Anyhow, Billy was an RH baby.  His Mom had my two cousins, Justina and Jo Ann, but her third baby, Jacqueline, had died at birth.  That's how it is with the RH factor, your first births are fine, and it gets worse with every subsequent baby.  So it only stood to reason, that they told my Aunt and Uncle that Billy was a goner, with little chance to survive.
But just about that time, in 1947, they had started to figure out that if they could replace the baby's blood,  or most of it, with the proper blood type, they could save the baby.  These days, mothers get preventative injections of antibodies, and the problem never happens.
Back then, they were on a mission all over town to find someone with negative blood, that would match.
It just happened to be my father.
Billy's last name was Rooker.  But all through my childhood, I heard the story, that REALLY Billy was 2/3 Cooper, from his Mom, and from getting a whole bunch of blood from his Uncle Mort.
It was a good story.
He WAS a lot like my father, in many ways. 
Billy only made it to 57, so believe it when I say, that along with missing him, I am grateful to be here, to have the chance to love my children, my family, my friends, my Roy, my kitties, my looms, and my life.
Amen.


And happy to be here talking to you all.















26 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Sweetie Pie! Hope I am as energetic as you come my 65th! Love this story too!!

Marsel said...

Happy birthday to you!

Country Girl said...

Here to wish you a happy birthday on this milestone year. A year when I hope you will soon become free of pain. That's my wish for you.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to you-Make some Memories. Ruth Ann

LA said...

Happy Birthday! This WILL be a great year!

karen said...

Happy Birthday!!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Hilary, you are our inspiration!

Teri said...

Happy Birthday!

Denise at Autumn Sky said...

A very Happy Birthday to you. I hope someone got you a cake.

Acorn to Oak said...

Happy Birthday! :-)

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday! Enjoy your new loom.
Kaaren in California

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday!!!!!!!
I hope you had a super wonderful day.

Devon said...

Birthdays are always a cause to celebrate! Wishing you a year of laughs and long walks!

Deb said...

I finally am able to post. "Happy Birthday". I'm glad you are here, too. I loved the story. There are so many good stories from our parents' generation. I'm having a BIG birthday this year, too. Not complaining as I know what the alternative is. ;-) Deb

Hilary said...

Happy Happy Happy Birthday. :)

Christine said...

Happy Birthday!!!!!

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...

I'm happy to have come to know such a fine person, one who's path I would not have crossed without blogger.

Daryl said...

happy birthday dear fellow aquarius, I wish you no more headaches!!!! .. I turned 64 2 weeks ago and honestly I am having a lot of trouble wrapping my mind around a # that big ... I am 0- .. blood banks love me ...

Mark said...

Happy Birthday.
It looks like my daughter hiding behind that birthday gift.
Take care!
mark

Gayle said...

Happy Birthday, hope it is grand!

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday to you from Tennessee!

Restless Knitter said...

Happy Birthday! (I'm a day late darnit.)

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! February is a huge month for birthdays in our family. It's the month where four of our own kids and my husband have their birthdays, along with my brother, sister in law, brother in law, grandma (who turned 97 on the 11th) and a number of aunts, uncles and cousins.

I'm sorry to read about Billy, but glad that he did indeed live well into his 50's. I'm sure lots of babies born with RH around the same time, did not get beyond the first days of life outside the womb.

We so easily take for granted the now simple fixes that even the generation before us didn't get to take advantage of. Of all the things that can go wrong, Rh is indeed a simple fix.

((hugs)) Enjoy your 65th year.

linda said...

Happy Birthday!

claudia said...

Happy, happy birthday! And many more...

Cupcake Murphy said...

I hope you had a wonderful birthday!

Welcome to my world.

Because every thread counts

Because every thread counts