Pages

Crazy as a Loom

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

True colors

Rainy day in Kingsbury today. This is the view from my computer desk. I like to sit here with a cuppa tea, and take a break.
I have a busy weekend coming up, and I am enjoying quiet days of weaving.
I struggled today with taking photos of some of the rugs I just made. I took several, and they all turned out awful. The colors weren't right, or true. The pictures certainly didn't do them justice.
The fact is, I am good at a lot of things........photography isn't one of them.
Truthfully, the really good pictures I take sometimes, are pure, dumb luck.
I have a great camera, a Nikon D40, but I am fairly clueless about it. I try to read and study to be proficient at using it, but I would be far better off if someone showed me how to use it. I learn things so much easier that way.
Today I tried every setting, but nothing really helped.
Finally, I took the rugs outside.

This is a little better.........sunlight does wonders. This is a Solmate sock rug, 28"x48".

I was weaving lodge rugs today, and this one looked downright ugly on the loom......but when I put it down to take a photo of it, I liked it after all.
This is shooting from the hip, I guess.
Question: If someone tells you that they want you to be "more spontaneous"...........is that possible??????
Wouldn't you be thinking about it all the time???

That wasn't said to me, by the way.

Busy weekend coming up.
This is the first time ever for the Washington County Fiber Festival, at the Fairgrounds. I was going to cancel, but didn't. Tammy is going to do most of the show, except for Saturday morning.
I will pack everything up, and get it all ready, and I will go with her to get her started on Friday afternoon.
I will have two of my grandchildren for the weekend, and we are going to the Adirondack Balloon Festival. So, with any luck, I should have some pictures.
Thank goodness for digital cameras. If I take enough shots, I should get a couple that I actually like.
Maybe I should be looking for a photography course.
Like I have time.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That second rug is to die for gorgeous colors.

Enjoy the balloon festival.... maybe you will get lucky and get to go for a ride... it's awesome up there!

Di

Hilary said...

I think you do just fine with your photography but it sure gets less frustrating when you've learned a few things about what you're doing wrong and what you're doing right.

That spontaneity question. I'll give you the first answer that comes to my mind.. after I think about it for a bit. ;)

The rugs are just beautiful.. such happy colours.

KarenInTheWoods said...

Ohhh I really like the second rug too.. the colors are a real interesting combination, and it makes your eyes play over the surface! Keep up the great work!!

Welcome to my world.

Because every thread counts

Because every thread counts