Pages

Crazy as a Loom

Thursday, August 27, 2009

I did it, I did it, I did it!!!!

(click on these photos to see them closer)


Here is the rug, the one I was stumped by, a week or so ago.
A customer sent it to me, and wanted me to make one like it.
I had no idea how it was threaded, or how to go about it.
I asked everyone I knew, and got some ideas, but nothing really came together in my head.
So I went on Ravelry, and put the same question out there.
I got an answer of sorts, by someone who referred me to an article on Weavezine, about taking apart a woven item to see how it was made.
So that is what I did.

And although the colors are much brighter and the fabric newer, I think I figured it out.


Now I don't want you to think that I got this down in an evening, or even two.
No, I worked on this on and off for over a week.
I didn't want to actually take the rug apart, since it wasn't mine. But I pulled and poked and pried at it, and charted it all down on graph paper.

Then I warped the loom, threaded the heddles, sleyed the reed, and prayed that I was right. If not, I had wasted a lot of time.

Here is the new rug, on the loom, and the old rug hanging over the back of the loom.



Now I have to weave two runners like this, each 2' x 10'.

I just wrote down the treadling sequence, and tomorrow I will weave in earnest, now that I know what I am doing.

And Jinx watched me most of the afternoon, and I think she approves.
She has very good taste.

9 comments:

Life Looms Large said...

Yay!! Great job figuring it out!!!

Sue

Country Girl said...

Wow~ GO HILARY!

Jinx looks like a kitty with discriminating taste. Just look at the pretty spot she chose to have a lie down!

Anonymous said...

Awesome Awesome Awesome!!!!

Sharon said...

I'm with Jinx - you nailed it!

Theresa said...

Great job! Looks wonderful!

Delighted Hands said...

You are a weaving archaeologist! No, a better phrase would be a weaving anthropologist-bringing the previously unknown to life! It is exciting to see. The cat and quilt pic is frame-able!

chris said...

Good sleuthing! Your customer should be pleased!

Anonymous said...

When it goes out to the client, let us know what they thought! I am sure they will be very pleased.
Jaimie in Evanston

Unknown said...

It is beautiful!

Welcome to my world.

Because every thread counts

Because every thread counts