(click on these photos to see them closer)
Here is the rug, the one I was stumped by, a week or so ago.
A customer sent it to me, and wanted me to make one like it.
I had no idea how it was threaded, or how to go about it.
I asked everyone I knew, and got some ideas, but nothing really came together in my head.
So I went on Ravelry, and put the same question out there.
I got an answer of sorts, by someone who referred me to an article on Weavezine, about taking apart a woven item to see how it was made.
So that is what I did.
And although the colors are much brighter and the fabric newer, I think I figured it out.
Now I don't want you to think that I got this down in an evening, or even two.
No, I worked on this on and off for over a week.
I didn't want to actually take the rug apart, since it wasn't mine. But I pulled and poked and pried at it, and charted it all down on graph paper.
Then I warped the loom, threaded the heddles, sleyed the reed, and prayed that I was right. If not, I had wasted a lot of time.
Here is the new rug, on the loom, and the old rug hanging over the back of the loom.
Now I have to weave two runners like this, each 2' x 10'.
I just wrote down the treadling sequence, and tomorrow I will weave in earnest, now that I know what I am doing.
And Jinx watched me most of the afternoon, and I think she approves.
She has very good taste.