Pages

Crazy as a Loom

Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Castle Cluck.

Last year, I made a promise to my granddaughters, who are now 8 and 9 years old.
I felt like I had missed so much time with them, because of my head injury/surgeries, etcetera, and I wanted to make it up to them.
I committed to raising chickens with them.


Can I just say that I will have to raise chickens for eggs, and maybe sell them door to door, for about ten years,  before this venture even begins to break even.
I could have bought a tractor trailer full of eggs.

But that's not what it's about, is it??




They arrived Monday.   26 little balls of fluff.  Half of them are going to my bff's house, when they are bigger, and half are residing here, at Castle Cluck.


 There are 5 barred rocks, 5 buff rocks, 5 buff orpingtons, 5 rhode island reds, and 6 araucanas.
But don't try to count them.  It's impossible.




Isn't it awesome to see green grass, and green leaves?
I am loving it.


Roy and I walk almost every day.  His favorite walk, and mine, is down by the river.


It is blissfully quiet there this time of year.
Summer, not so much. 


It is the best place to walk.  

I have been wicked busy this week, with the weaving weekend, then the chicks, babysitting the grandbaby, and it's not over yet.  I have two little girls that are "itching" to get to the studio to bond with their chicks.


Only problem is, they're not going to want to leave.




Spring and grandchildren and chicks.
My, my.

15 comments:

Mary said...

Wonderful and magical.

Deb said...

You are an awesome grandma. :)

Country Girl said...

Spring . . . grandchildren . . . chicks. Sounds pretty good to me ~

Country Gal said...

Lovely walks , grand kids and raising chickens sounds good to me ! Lovely photos . Thanks for sharing , Have a good week !

messymimi said...

When it comes to grandchildren, is their not wanting to leave really that big of a problem? In the short term, i mean.

Suzanne said...

You are such an amazing person and a big inspiration to me. Here's to many long river walks with Roy and chick filled days with your family.

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...

I love your castle cluck! And you have a great assortment of chickens there. You will have some blue eggs too! You really are an awesome grandmother :-)

I posted a walk with Frasier by the water today too.. great minds, ya know.

ladyoftheloom said...

I sure hope that when I have grand kids I will have your enthusiasm! So glad you are getting out again.
Alice

Avalanche Looms / Susan Johnson said...

Great days!

Susan said...

What a lovely spot. This is such a nice time of year. Good golly! Even I would love to live in that coop! I've given up trying to make my chickens pay for themselves...just enjoying them is enough.

Daryl said...

sounds to me like the perfect threesome!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great start to the summer! And chicken TV is great fun to watch, especially when they are little. Have fun!

Rita said...

Sounds marvelous! ;)

GretchenJoanna said...

I would do the same if I had the chance - so much easier to do an ongoing project, in my mind, than to come up with new things every time the children are over...
And won't you love having the chickens, your animal "chickies," when the grandchildren aren't there? I envy you! Have fun!

MaryB said...

You are going to LOVE the chickens. They are so entertaining to watch. It's better than television (although that's not saying much these days.).

Welcome to my world.

Because every thread counts

Because every thread counts