(click on any picture to see it bigger and better)
The fabric sat in the dye all night. When I started to rinse it this morning, a lot of the color seemed to be washing out. So I took my friend's advice, and mixed another batch of soda ash, poured it in, weighted it down, and left it for another hour or so.
Then we rinsed it........and hung it every available place, so it would dry.
It was windy, which dried the fabric quite quickly, but unfortunately, the clothes racks kept getting blown over, and they the wind even blew some of it totally off the porch.
When we got inside, Ava wanted me to take a picture of her sandals, and her creation.
She tried to help me roll the fabric back up into balls. Twenty pounds of dry fabric is a LOT of fabric.
The pillow actually has a brownish color under the red stripe, and the green I was trying to match is the area under the white stripe between the red stripes. It is a pretty darn close match, and after two days of work, green fingers, and an aching back, I am happy with the results.
Then we planted a clematis vine near the barn, in the secret garden.
And some hostas behind the barn. Hopefully, they are too big to be tasty treats for the woodchucks.
I continue to pour dirty cat litter down every wood chuck hole that I find, and we filled the area under the porch with rocks, so they couldn't use that one anymore. This is an ongoing battle, but I am relentless.
Kids love hoses. That is a fact of life. Give a kid a hose, and tell them to fill this, and clean that, and let them go. You will have a dirty, wet, happy kid.
I think Ava has some creative talents lurking.......she made this with a piece of old wood, a couple of sock loopers, and a stone. She said she was taking it home for her brother.
And at the end of the day, this little face is what it is all about.
What a beauty.