Pages

Crazy as a Loom

Sunday, June 22, 2014

Come kakapo!!

Spell check.  You gotta love it.   I was chatting with my daughters via text, and my phone kept changing 'kayak' to 'kakapo'.

So I give up.  Call it whatever, but come along.


 Number 1 daughter and I went to Garnet Lake, a little jewel of a lake  in the Adirondacks.
Sorry, couldn't resist.


Just an hour drive away, so it was perfect.


Have you ever noticed how sometimes we forget to look up??


It was a lovely day, perfect to be out on the water.
Funny, how calming it is, to be out there, just paddling along.


At one end of the lake, it appears to have once been land.


There are serious stumps of old trees, everywhere.


A little island  for bugs.



The root systems were everywhere, and we were careful not to get hung up on them.




We were looking for loons, but it was hard to tell if a blip on the water was a bird, or just more wood.


My curious mind wonders how long it took for the forest to become part of the lake.

I wish I were one of these people who knew the names of every thing growing in the Adirondacks, but I know NOTHING.
 

Look how thin that girl's arms are!!   I can only wish.  And reminisce.
 

She took a great picture of mama loon sitting on her nest.  We stayed our distance, using the zoom lens, and we glided by quietly, so as not to disturb her.
 

 Crane Mt sits overlooking the lake.  I can't swear this is it, but it could be.
There is a trail to hike it, but as much as I would love to, I am seriously afraid of falling.
You know the deal........I already have a hole in my head.
Water seems so much safer.


We saw a total of 6 loons on the lake.

There are only a few camps on one end of the lake, the rest is state wilderness.


 There is something magical about loons, and about their calls.


If I could have anything I wanted, I would live on a pond or a lake with loons, and listen to them all night long.


 It was another lovely day.   I am grateful, to be here, to feel well enough to get out there and kayak,  to be able to do it with my daughter.
It's a reminder, that we don't have yesterday, or tomorrow, but wow, we do have today.
And that's an amazing thing.



Loudly.




16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like a perfect way to spend a day with perfect weather. Nice cloud reflections on the water too!

Dianne said...

Kakapo is an endangered flightless, nocturnal parrot. The 62 kakapo remaining in the world live in New Zealand on preditor free islands.
Your day on the water looked idyllic.

Texan said...

WOW, gorgeous. I would love to have been there Kayaking with you guys. Just lovely!!! I only learned to swim a bit over a year ago. I am almost 50. I would so do this now. Not before but now I would, I don't fear the water like I used to. LOL well it certainly helps that I can swim a mile now! woowhoo. Wish I lived close enough to get some weaving lesson. My floor loom is still waiting on me to get brave enough to warp it! :O)

messymimi said...

That's a little harder to remember when, instead of kayaking, your present moment is being up to your elbows in laundry. Yet i will try to remember, because having to do the laundry does mean we have clothing, and that i have people in my life who want to wear these things. Thank you for the reminder.

Dizzy-Dick said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dizzy-Dick said...

Beautiful lake, and I bet there are a lot of bass hiding around those stumps.

Shuttle, Hook and Needle said...

A little bit of heaven on earth. Beautiful!

Anonymous said...

A perfect day! I live in the foothills of the ADKs, north of Plattsburgh on Lake Champlain, and we rarely get loons here so I love seeing yours. I just read your story about chiari--amazing what you've been through. It's certainly clear why each day seems magical to you now!

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!

claudia said...

I love to kakapo! I always told anyone who would listen that it is the best medication to calm oneself. I don't have a kayak right now, but one is in the works again. I need to get back out there!

Daryl said...

i wonder if maybe all the snow this winter caused the lake to rise …

i so dislike auto correct … but sometimes it can be amusing

as for kayaking or kakapoo'ing i think i will continue to not …

thotlady said...

I would like to get on that path. I am working on it, but haven't quite figured it out yet. I am 57 years old and still struggling. But I guess that means I am still alive.

Susan said...

So beautiful. Loons are part of the beauty of the North (although, I am always left laughing when they are dubbed into jungle movies). So glad you were able to enjoy a beautiful day on a beautiful lake with your beautiful daughter.

peg said...

Hilary, I love your blog and your spirit as it shines through your posts. I am probably your contemporary in age but new to both weaving and kayaking (or kakapoing?)and love both. I also love how life teaches us to live in the moment. Keep paddling!
Regards,
Peggy

Hilary said...

Beautiful way to spend the day. I must get me a kakapo! I already have the lake, clouds, stumps and wonderful loons. You took some lovely shots, my friend. Keep on enjoying.

Suzanne said...

You know how something beautiful can take your breath away. I'm struggling right now, to breathe and not cry. This is gorgeous and I wish I was there. Right Now. I'm glad that you had this day with your daughter.

Welcome to my world.

Because every thread counts

Because every thread counts