Pages

Crazy as a Loom

Friday, June 27, 2014

And the clock ticks.

The days fly by.  It seems that I never have enough time to do what I want to do.   I am as busy as I want to be, sometimes busier.
Two days a week, I am at the beck and call of one baby Dale.

 Still not much hair, but teeth are coming in.


 And she is on her hands and knees, and on the move.




Back at the studio I am doing some weaving, not nearly as much as the "old" me used to do.
But enough.

Another porch rug, this one 30"x116".  Of course, you could use it in a hall way, or in your kitchen, or just about anywhere.
But doesn't "porch rug" just sound good?





 The chicks are growing so fast, and I am not getting rid of a one of them.
So far, only two have names.
The little pecked one, that is half the size of the rest, is thriving.  But because we put Vicks on her neck to keep the others from pecking her, Lois named her Vicky.

The other one with a name is a large black one, that I am sure I did not order.  But the hatchery usually gives you extras, and while we ordered 25, we got 28.  Two died, so my bff and I each got 13.
This girl is not a barred rock.  She is solid black, and by far the biggest hen there.
And she is THE BOSS LADY.
So I called her Black Betty (bam a lam)

Now every night, I have had to make the trip to the studio, to make sure the chicks were in.
Even though there is an enclosed run outside the coop, I do not trust it.
It is very rural there, and there are all kinds of critters.
 

If a determined predator has all night to figure it out, I am afraid they might.
So I make the trip.
But not any more.
Thank goodness.
I found  the Automatic Chicken Coop Door
and it is amazing.

You can see by the cord, that my old hand operated door is still in place on the outside of the coop, if ever I need it.
But the automatic door is on a timer.
It opens at 7am and lets them out, and closes at 8:45pm, and shuts them in.
Ahhhhh.
It does work like a charm.

Until the day when I can make the studio my home,  this will do the trick.
In the meantime, I am preparing for that day, getting everything just the way I want it.
Moving will be a snap.
Living there will be a joy.



6 comments:

Deb said...

Aw that Dale, she's a cutie. It's nice that you have made time to spend with her each week. About that automatic door...what happens if the chick is on the wrong side of the door when it closes? Inquiring minds want to know.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like Black Betty (Bam a Lam) is a Jersey Giant, they are a tad bossy but they are great broody hens and fantastic Mothers.

Love the porch rug, great colors.

The automatic door is awesome, the first chicken that gets left outdoors will teach the others to get inside before it is too late and the door shuts. Don't worry about it, they figure the system out quickly.

Anonymous said...

Ooooh, I just love little baby toes. Dale is just too precious. I remember that my daughter was almost a year old before she had much hair. Until then she just had fuzz.

Daryl said...

dale is adorable, the rug makes me wish for a place big enough to use it .. and how brilliant is the automatic coop door!

claudia said...

Dale...awe Dale! She is a fresh breath of air! So adorable. I would be at her beck and call 24/7 if she wanted it!
As for Black Betty...does she has green jewels in her feathers in the sun? If so, she might be a Black Astrolop.(sp?) I had a rooster of that kind...just plain gorgeous! Oh! I needs me one of those automatic doors. but then, my coop isn't as well put together as yours. I think I should work on that first.
Love your porch rug. I wish I had a porch that long. I'd be sittin' on it right now!
I can't wait to get back to my old digs. After spending the past two years caring for my dad and now his house, it is time for me to be moving along. I want to get back to my old ways!

thotlady said...

I was wondering how far away the studio house is from where you live now.

Welcome to my world.

Because every thread counts

Because every thread counts