Pages

Crazy as a Loom

Saturday, October 26, 2013

Cluck, cluck


My youngest daughter commented recently that I didn't need anything else to do.  But tell me, when did that ever stop me?
And I promised my grandgirls, Gabby and Ava, that they could raise chickens.  
Yes, chickens.
We saw them at the County fair this summer, and they reminded me that I had told them that a while back,  and I said yes, in the spring, we would order chickens.
So in an attempt to not be scrambling in the spring, I had the chicken coop plans hot and ready.

Here is is, and for some unknown reason, I decided that it would be good to have it in front of the barn, near the house.
Part of my reasoning was that there is a HUGE brush pile on the spot where I really wanted to put it.
 

 
 Of course, then I got thinking about it, and realized what a mistake it was to put it there.
Can I just say that my brain isn't always spot on.



 So I did what any self respecting woman would do.
I changed my mind.

Luckily, my regular carpenter/handy man is often like one of my own kids, and he
makes adjustments for my quirkiness, with the require amount of grumbling.

This morning he was there bright and early.  He moved the brush pile over about 10 ft, and then he proceeded to move the coop, not an easy feat.
They actually rolled it on those pipes, a few feet at a time.

 Before long it was back next to the metal shed, where I originally wanted it to go.


 It's done, and ready for chickens.


The girls are going to do a little decorating, and painting.  Gabby informed me they needed a sign, "chicks only".


 The door was a gift, fancy for a chicken coop, but it was free.

The only problem I see is that when the chicks arrive, the girls aren't going to want to go to school, they're going to want to come to Mimi's.


The last two years have taught me a lot about my life.  I have to admit that just lately I have had a
real "aha" moment.
 My blog has actually been a big part of my thought process.   It's all  there in black and white, no escaping it.

I could give you the long drawn out description, but here it is in the skinny.

I have had a tough two years of incredible pain, I have experienced fear of the future, and have generally been thrown out of my comfort zone.   In response, I desired to run away, to move to Maine, to sell my business, to downsize, and redesign my entire life.

As things are calming down, and I am getting my balance back so to speak, I realize that all that was like an alcoholic making a geographical change.  It was  the voice of desperation, trying to get away from a reality that was just plain overwhelming, though running away really didn't change a thing.

 " The general remedy of those, who are uneasy without knowing the cause, is change of place; they are willing to imagine that their pain is the consequence of some local inconvenience, and endeavour to fly from it, as children from their shadows; always hoping for more satisfactory delight from every new scene, and always returning home with disappointments and complaints.

"The fountain of content must spring up in the mind; and that he, who has so little knowledge of human nature, as to seek happiness by changing any thing, but his own dispositions, will waste his life in fruitless efforts, and multiply the griefs which he purposes to remove."


Samuel Johnson, 1750



I still want to go to Maine.  Cause I love Maine.  I just don't need to relocate.
I still want to downsize, but in a more reasonable frame of mine.

And no, I don't want to sell Crazy as a Loom, it's my BABY, for crying out loud.

I do however, want to redesign my life, which includes a lot of different ways to minimize,  simplify, and clarify what I want to do.
I don't want to work 6 days a week.
I do want to spend more time with my family and friends.

I can't change my crazy self.
But I can slow it down a bit, and live every day  like it was my last.

Cause you never know.


24 comments:

Deb said...

I laughed at them rolling it on pipes. I bet the air was blue..haha! So, fresh eggs, Hilary. How wonderful will that be. Of course, little fluffy baby chicks will be fun to have around for awhile, too. I have a blogging friend who raises chickens, ducks and bees that you may want to visit. Knatolee's World. I really learned a lot from her about all of the above. Someday...maybe. Glad to hear you are doing well. Sending a hug, Deb.

Dizzy-Dick said...

Now that is what I call a nice looking chicken coop. Will you call it the Chicken Hilton?

Peg Cherre said...

Changing our minds can be a good thing. Sometimes we just have to think things through. It's also important to remember that many decisions we make can be changed, as long as we keep people in the foreground.

Glad to hear you're feeling better.

Watch out for cats, but mostly raccoons, once you get those chickens!

claudia said...

You and your grands are going to love taking care of the chickens. And talk about zen...I can come home from work in a really pissy mood, sit down and watch my chickens for 10 or 15 minutes and the bad day is washed away. Something about a chickens methodical pecking and scratching that soothes.
I'm glad things are looking better for you. It makes me feel good too!

Anonymous said...

Joy to you too! I spent a great deal of my younger adult years re-locating to find happiness. Now when there is relocating done it is with the same person each time, my husband, and done for the betterment of our income. I think that we all reach a comfort level at some point in life and plant our feet in one spot knowing that it's better to simply bloom where we are planted. xox

Love your chickens' house! They will too!!

DebbieB said...

I'm glad to hear that you're not selling your business - but simplifying is good for all of us.

I love that coop! I wish we could have chickens in our neighborhood, but they're expressly forbidden. Maybe I could get some really QUIET, well-behaved chickens? Do you think anyone will notice?

Vicky said...

Amen- such wise and real words. I dream of running too- and realized it would all follow at some point :) Love that you did the chicken coop- that you took a chance and that new life will flutter right in your backyard! You are being intentional in how you live and that along with choosing joy is such a gift!!

Hilary said...

I kind of expected that sort of realization to land any day now.

Chickens! Hilary COOPer, indeed. ;)

Carol from MN said...

Yesssssssssssss!!! Woo hoo! :)

Firefly Farm said...

Chickens are the best. I am so happy you are not selling the business--nobody could do it like you anyway.

Country Girl said...

No, you never know do you?

I can't believe you have a chicken coop up already. There was a time when I wanted to raise chickens. But I think it's better just visiting other people's.

I'm glad you're feeling better.

Firefly Farm said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Firefly Farm said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Firefly Farm said...

So happy to see you are going to keep the business. Nobody could do it like you anyway.
And hooray for those lucky chickens.
And thanks for the timely quote.

Shuttle, Hook and Needle said...

Never make decisions when your world is in chaos. Glad you have rethought the decision to sell your business. I thought at the time it was rash and in the moment of uncertainty.
When I started reading your blog I fell in love with your house. Full of looms, cats, color, beautiful wood floors and rugs. They are still my favorite posts. I love the picture of the barn and the new chicken hotel. It will be great fun for the kiddies and all of us.

Daryl said...

i sorta kinda knew you'd get here .. sometimes it takes 'running around like a headless chicken' to get to where you know in your heart you belong! xo

MarthaVA said...

Ya know, I'm glad that women are known to change their minds, and men know they have to just go along for the ride! :-)

That quote and your AHA moment are very timely for me. Thanks for sharing.

I'm glad things are settling again for you. Glad you're going to make adjustments but you're okay with keeping the business!

Hang in there. Continue to heal.
Love the chicken coop and your promise to your g-kids.

Take care,
Martha

Cupcake Murphy said...

What a sturdy plan you have.

thewiildmagnola said...

Joy!

Cluck, cluck!

A good plan.

thotlady said...

My husband has always wanted to have chickens. Some day.

Connie in Hartwood said...

Having two years of pain and angst and three brain surgeries is a pretty drastic way to make the decision to simplify and downsize, Hilary, sweetheart.

I look forward to following along on your chicken journey next year. They're something I really want, but the time isn't right for me now. I will live vicariously through your chickens, and Karen's girls in CT, and plan and scheme and simplify till the time is right to have my own 'girls' here in Virginia.

Hugs to you and to baby Dale and all the other members of the family. (Roy gets a tummy rub.)

grace lovelace said...

i love love having chickens.
35+ years having chickens.
great stuff for the garden also.
check it out.....
http://www.fresh-eggs-daily.com/?m=1
grace

Cait Throop said...

Hilary...rock on!!!!!!!

Nancy said...

Do what makes you happy. You love weaving. Don't turn it into a chore. You have the perfect set up there. Ease off, enjoy life and take time to travel.

Welcome to my world.

Because every thread counts

Because every thread counts