Pages

Crazy as a Loom

Friday, October 2, 2009

Gallivanting

(please click on pics to enlarge)


Finally, after a busy start to the week, we got away for a couple of days.
The ride through Vermont was spectacular, as usual.
DH and I are so predictable. We love Wells Beach, and we frequent the exact same places every time we go.
Mike's Clam Shack has the BEST clam chowda........in our opinions. Even better than the Union Oyster House in Boston......sorry about that.
But Billy's Chowder House has the BEST stuffed baked haddock ever. To die for. Seriously.

A walk on the beach was in order, even though it was cold and windy. I love it anyway.
I thought I was seeing things when I caught sight of this guy. Is he for real??? He has a rubber suit on, but his hands and feet must be FROZEN.
I can't even imagine. He must be passionate about it.
One of our favorite breakfast places.....I had a yummy feta, mushroom, onion, and spinach omelet.
Too cold to sit out. Anyone on the beach is moving.......to keep warm.

The next morning, though, was sunny and bright.
Could make you forget that the wind was cutting.
I bet that the crew out there on this boat knows just how cold it is.
We kind of expected that the tourist traffic would be down. But what we didn't realize is that a whole bunch of baby boomers like ourselves, would be out there in droves, with the exact same idea we had. A couple of quiet days by the ocean, without the buzz of summer crowds.
The Long Beach at York is pretty deserted. But no matter what the weather, there are always a few die hards out on the beach. You can count on it. This morning, I saw a lady doing yoga out there at 6am.
Now that is what I call motivation.
I love Maine.
Did I tell you that I lived there once......years ago. I lived in China, Maine, for a year. Just me and my two oldest daughters. We lived in a modified A frame, right on China Lake. I worked in my first nursing job at Mid Maine Medical Center, in Waterville, Maine. I had very little money, but I needed to be there, for myself, I guess. On Friday nights, our big entertainment for the week was to go to horse riding lessons with my daughter, go to the laundromat, Wendy's, Mr. Paperback, and if we could afford it, the movies.
It seems like a long time ago now.
I will always have a soft spot in my heart for Maine, but there is no place like home.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It wasn't too many years ago that Hubby had an interview in Vermont for a job. We had hoped he would get the job so that we could go gallanting in Vermont, but the job offer was not to be. It looks so lovely there and I hope to get there one day preferably during September or October.

Di
The Blue Ridge Gal

Gail said...

What a beautiful adventure...thanks for taking me along.

Theresa said...

That's some good gallivanting going on! Looks like a wonderful time. I've eaten at The Egg & I...many years ago.

bspinner said...

Thanks for taking us along on your get away. Lovely pictures.

Hilary said...

What a great post. I love Maine too, and have been to some of those spots in very cold weather.. mid February to be exact. Thanks for sharing these. :)

DJ said...

There are some hard core surfers in Maine. You'd have to be. I'm a FL surfer, but if I lived in Maine, I'd be putting my rubber suit on too. It's the best :)

Welcome to my world.

Because every thread counts

Because every thread counts