Pages

Crazy as a Loom

Sunday, October 4, 2009

I'm Alive

Something about these trees just pulled me in. My husband was afraid I would get arrested, but I took photos from the street.
It was the perspective that caught my eye, I guess.
Update on the kitty. She had her surgery, and the vet very kindly gave me a "good citizen discount", which helped immensely.
I kept her isolated from the other cats for a couple of days, and then introduced her gradually.
Jinx wants to play with her, Kizzy is just enthralled, and Miss Puss is her lethal self. But new kitty is not interested.
All in all, I would say that this girl, who I have named Sydney, is going to be just fine.

I sat in the rocking chair, holding her. She laid across my chest, with her head on my shoulder. I rested my chin on her back and rocked the chair gently, while she purred.
I never planned on having cats. I am a dog person really. I have a wicked soft spot for all dogs, and especially pit bulls, though I have had golden retrievers, Irish setters, border collies, Newfoundlands, and assorted mixed breeds in my lifetime.
But somehow, they found me. The first one born in the barn, then I trapped his feral mother who I had neutered and then released. Then I went to the shelter to get a second one for company for the first. Ha! That's a joke. I should have known I didn't need to do that.
Then the third one was a stray litter born under the back of my house, now this one.
As I sat there rocking with her, it struck me that they slow me down. They make me take time for them, and because of them, I am learning to have more balance.
Isn't it true that you get what you need?
And it all seems like the right thing to do.
Kenny Chesney and Dave Matthews have done a song together. Odd couple, I know. But I love it. I get cold chills when I hear it.....well, not really, but you know what I mean.

It's called "I'm Alive".
Here are the words.


So damn easy to say that life's so hard
Everybody's got their share of battle scars
As for me I'd like to thank my lucky stars that
I'm alive and well

It'd be easy to add up all the pain
And all the dreams you've sat and watch go up in flames
Dwell on the wreckage as it smolders in the rain
But not me... I'm alive

And today you know that's good enough for me
Breathing in and out's a blessing can't you see
Today's the first day of the rest of my life
And I'm alive and well
I'm alive and well

Stars are dancin' on the water here tonight
It's good for the soul when there's not a soul in sight
This motor's caught its wind and brought me back to life
Now I'm alive and well

And today you know that's good enough for me
Breathing in and out's a blessing can't you see
Today's the first day of the rest of my life
Now I'm alive and well
Yeah I'm alive and well


Busy week at the studio...........3 orders to work on. Where's that damn Tammy, anyway??????

8 comments:

Country Girl said...

Kenny Chesney and Dave Matthews? Will wonders never cease?!!
The new kitty looks comfy. Good of you to care for it. Work is good, too. Glad for you!

Hilary said...

Cats do indeed have a way of making you stop and take notice. This one's a cutie.. she looks like my Skittles. I can also see why that doorway drew you in. It's intriguing.

Delighted Hands said...

I love the walkway.....the bushes are almost overwhelming. Glad you took a pic to share with us! The kitty is a keeper for sure-glad you are coming to the cat side of the world!

Theresa said...

There is always something magical about holding an animal and such a good exchange of mutual comfort. Sydney is very pretty! Lucky girl to have such a nice home.

Sea Glass Designs said...

Sydney is beautiful, I would rock and pat her for you.

Gail said...

Great words, now if I would just sing them instead of having a pity party...

Sharon said...

That's a great song. Reminds me of my mom - she used to say that she'd leave that bone on her plate for someone else to pick on. I've learned that rehashing the past has no merit.

I wish I could have another kitty but can't since Charlie is a calici virus carrier. He did in the kitty we brought him in from the SPCA to a companion to.

Penny B. said...

Hi Hilary - checked out the fuel tank cob job - Joe was amazed...LOL Hope you are feeling better! Penny

Welcome to my world.

Because every thread counts

Because every thread counts