Pages

Crazy as a Loom

Thursday, June 22, 2023

Surrender





I am sure the world has gone mad, and sometimes I wish I lived on a mountain, with no access to any kind of media.  
I know that is a pipe dream, can you ever get away from it????

But this week has been particularly disturbing.

A father who shoots his three sons, in the yard, in front of their mother.  They were beautiful little boys, ages 3, 4, and 7.   Why?

Five people in a submarine, 2.5 miles down in the ocean, looking for wreckage of a ship that's been there for over 100 years, surely not to be rescued.  They went voluntarily.  Why?

The world is a mind boggle much of the time, and maybe it always has been, but now, it is in 
our face, daily.  The magnitude of our disconnect.

On so many levels, the internet is a wonderful thing.
And yet..........
Wasn't life so much simpler before? 
Useless pondering, I know.




But now I understand my elderly mother's reminiscing about times past.  How much she enjoyed traveling back down memory lane.  I didn't get it then, but now I do.
Getting older sometimes makes you smarter, not feebler.

Often I beat myself up with the thoughts that I "should" be doing something, traveling, being more social, being more adventurous. joining groups. buying nicer clothes, dressing up more, getting out more,  I ask myself, "what ever happened to you?"  
You didn't use to be such a hermit.

Then at times, I get sucked into the FOMO mentality.   OMG,  fear of missing out.  It even sounds ridiculous.

What I've realized is this.

I'm fairly old.  I've been on this earth for 76 years to date.  I've had an interesting, active, pretty wonderful life. I've been blessed in so many ways.   Hard times?   Absolutely.
But here I am, still on my feet, still weaving, still excited about every sunrise.

The truth is, I don't really want to travel.   I  don't want to be more social.  I am happy with the small circle of friends and family who elevate me, always.  I don't want or need a lot of fancy clothes, and in fact, if it's not totally comfortable, it's out.  I'm not losing weight, either.  Enough already, it's long past time to give up on that need to "fit in" or "measure up" or in any way waste a minute comparing myself to anyone else.  I eat sensibly, but if I want a bagel, I'm having a bagel.
No longer interested in impressing anyone at all.



Truth is, I'm incredibly happy right where I am.

Simple, perhaps, but nothing feels as good as this.



Me, and two dogs, and two cats.   A pack you might say.  And what is more comforting than to be with your pack???


Of course, before all the social media explosion, we weren't bombarded with everyone's "best" moments, their FB pages, and Instagram, and all the rest, where they appeared to be so incredibly perfect and happy.   
So we were more content in our own little worlds, and if we ventured out, on a big trip, it was an event, not a small part of a whirlwind life, like we see portrayed for us on the screen, continuously.



The sense of foreboding I have carried around since one year ago June, has gone.  Very 
simply, I have surrendered.   An old Al Anon word, "surrender".   Not giving up, oh no.

But surrendering to a higher power, accepting life as it is.  Loving it, as it is.




And gratitude, always.












10 comments:

Rita said...

Amen, Lady! When did contentment and gratitude become not-good-enough words. Enjoy your glorious days with your pack. :)

deodar said...

Hurray for you! I couldn't agree more. It's taken me 70 years to realize I'm ok just the way I am and I only need do things I need or want to do. Not things anyone else thinks I should.

Joanne Noragon said...

It is easy and comfortable to look about and be happy.

Daryl said...

after Ray died i stopped watching television .. while he was in hospital i recorded the news/weather but i never watched it .. a few month after i stopped watching i 'cut the cord' aka quit using Spectrum and upped my Hulu membership so if i want i can watch live TV .. i dont ... friends and family seem to think i need to travel .. i dont really .. i am back at the office two days a week and that satisfies my need to be around people .. i toyed with retiring, i am 75, but i do like my job and the people i work with and that paycheck .. so as long as we dont go back 5 days a week i think i will stay employed .. evenings are spent with my dog Lola and the 2 cats ..i cant say i am happy,but i am not unhappy so thats something, right?

Candace said...

Just WOW! I could have written every word of that post...EXACTLY where my mind meanders these days. Thanks for expressing it. It helps to know that there are others having the same hit on life!

Linda K's Stitching Corner said...

Love all of your Photos....they are so pretty...

Have a very lovely day...

Take Care
Linda K, Buttercup

Anonymous said...

Time, it all takes time. Our family is in the midst of major upheaval but it is all falling in to place. There are medical issues that we can only hope/pray will resolve positively. Mom is making a major life transition which she is taking in stride but it isn't easy for her. Your words are so comforting right now. You have come out on the other side of so many trials still positive and sharing the beauty and joy of life with us. Thank you.

Caroline M said...

Growing up we didn't see what everyone else had (or pretended they had), the gap between the super rich and the rest of us was there but we didn't see it. My mother would have said that however many bedrooms you had, you could only sleep in one bed at once. I don't watch tv much now, I have a run through FB first thing in the morning and then that's that. I'd rather live my own life than someone else's.

Your labyrinth is looking good this year.

geri said...

totally agree with every word you've said.

Twylla Alexander said...

This is a keeper! I've bookmarked it to return to whenever I need to feel grounded in my life and in gratitude. Thanks, Hilary!

Welcome to my world.

Because every thread counts

Because every thread counts