Pages

Crazy as a Loom

Tuesday, February 26, 2019

And on and on.

In all my 30 years of nursing, if anyone had ever told me that they had endured a headache almost daily for 8 years, I would have probably rolled my eyes.
I imagine that I would have immediately thought:  nutcase, drug seeker, drama queen, liar.

Who has a headache for that long?  Seriously.

So I guess that means that I was a lousy nurse (damn, I didn't think I was) OR a judgemental witch.  Didn't think I was that, either.

Or certainly a clueless, uninformed nitwit.

Because it is true, it happens.  I am the bearer of that good news.

Anyway, as my loyal followers know, it has been a roller coaster ride, and in recent years, it has truly been better......easier.......or I have just gotten used to it.

But sometimes, like on Saturday, I get the migraine super-imposed over the existing dull headache that I sometimes forget I have, unless someone asks.  (please don't ask)

And in this instance, it has hung on.  Google search says that a migraine can last for 72 hours......so about 3pm this afternoon should wrap it up.  Thank you very much.
Maybe the vice will come off my temples.  Maybe I can stop thinking about it.  Maybe I can breathe, and stop forcing myself through the day.

Over these last 8 years, the one thing that has sustained me is "staying in the day".....I know that there is not much that you can't get through for one day.  And so often, I ask myself....."can you do today?"

Always the answer comes back, "Hell, yes." 

And so I go on.

February has worn me down a bit, I must say....the cold, the snow, the ice, not enough sun, no place to walk.  Then the headache as frosting on that crappy cake.

Ok, I've vented.  Thanks for listening........onward and upward.
I can do today.
Oh, yes, I can.



8 comments:

Susan said...

I cannot imagine and am so sorry you have this. I do have migraines but nothing like you are enduring. Hoping and praying for warmer weather so we all can get out and walk in the fresh air with our furry buddies!

Joanne Noragon said...

I have a friend who has migraine attacks. Years ago I was full of suggestions to benefit. I've learned to shut up. Sympathy is all that's left. I hope three this afternoon arrives sooner than later.

Peg Cherre said...

:-( Sad face. Offering tea and sympathy. Quiet and rest.

justjill said...

Lots of sympathy. Has it gone?

hart said...

I certainly sympathize with you on the migraines. I have pretty much stopped getting them, and only twice were they bad enough to go to the doctor and get a shot. I hope yours pass too.

A Brit in Tennessee said...

I'm sorry to learn you are having more headaches, they can be the pits....
Back in my early thirties, I suffered from migraine headaches for two years, the doctors didn't figure out why, but I had read an article about RED DYE and began keeping a food journal, and low and behold, it seems like anytime I had eaten chocolate, bologna, hot dogs, processed meat, on and on, anything with red dye, it triggered a migraine. I was able to take CAFERGOT which if taken when a migraine was in it's early stages, warded it off, it was a Godsend.
Sending healing wished your way, try to take the stress out of your days.
Hugs,
~Jo

Kim said...

I am so sorry you are suffering with this. I get a migraine about 4 times a year and am flattened. It's bed and a hot pack in a dark room with sumatriptin on board. Usually there is a trigger - dehydration, certain kinds of lights, stress or low blood sugar, and once for 7 days through a hospitalization during which I almost died from the infection of a perforated colon, and the headache was the worst thing I endured! The neurologist threw up his hands and started me on depakote which did diddlysquat. I feel for you. Just know that it will abate, and that Spring will come along with sun and green growth and your daily walks with birds nesting and singing.

Do take good care.

Shammickite said...

I was interested to read the comment by Brit in Tenn about Red Dye, and I've had the same reaction. I'm sending you healing good vibrations through the magical internet, don't know if it will work on your nasty headaches but fingers crossed.

Welcome to my world.

Because every thread counts

Because every thread counts