Pages

Crazy as a Loom

Sunday, December 31, 2017

2018

Yes, it's been bitterly cold in Northeast New York, so cold that it's time to turn on the "red light" out in the hen house.  Hopefully, it makes a little difference.




Inside, I've been working on my natural towel warp, and hopefully will be done with it soon.


I definitely need some color.




I've been mending this old quilt in the evenings, my plan is to get it all quilted before I wash it.  It's very fragile.
I just love the old, faded fabrics.




Well, I showed you pictures of my sewing table plans.   But I have the patience of a gnat.
Ask anyone.
I really needed a table to work on, and after some careful consideration of the costs, I went to the local furniture store, where they sell used and new, and bought two very reasonable, identical  cupboards.




I used the table, because the top is still serviceable, I did have to bungee the middle legs together, as they are busted, as well.


But I think it's going to work well.  At some point, I may order a custom counter top for it, same size.



My sewing room is a wonderful place to spend time.  Unfortunately, my Bernina is getting its yearly service cleaning, so I am a little lost.


Well, not entirely.   There's always the 36 year old Kenmore upstairs.   hehe.



The sun has been shining all day, and that's something to be thankful for, even though it's brutally cold.

 

Hemmed, washed and pressed all these towels. stocking the shelves.







Thinking today about 2017.   Missing Roy, feeling the loss of a friend, trying to understand somethings, while fully understanding others.

Mostly, grateful for everything I have.  Still loving my life. My family.  My friends.  Hopeful for the future.

Happy New Year to all my blogger friends.

2018????         Let's do this.




14 comments:

Sheila said...

Happy New Year, Hilary.

claudia said...

Happy New Year Hilary!

Yeah...2017. I'm throwing that baby out with the bath water.

I'm hoping that the universe sees fit to have a better 2018. At least I am going to work to make it a better year.

Theresa said...

Happy New Year right back Hillary! Love the draft on those natural towels, is it a 16 shaft or something that can be done on 12 or less?
Hope everyone in that deep freeze warms up soon. It will make the hens happy for sure. :-)

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...

Happy New Year, dear friend - 2 degrees here this morning... UGH. Have you heard about the Cozy Coop heater? I got one this year and it works beautifully without being too warm, no fire hazard.

Caroline in NH said...

Happy New Year! We're having these bitterly cold temps here in New Hampshire as well - the barn animals are not appreciating this. Love your new table setup! Great idea, and even better with repurposed materials! Can you tell me where to find the drafts for the towels that look like flying geese (or arrows) and the ones that look like diamonds (second towel group photo, left most towel)? Thank you!

Peg Cherre said...

We're having the coldest new year day since 1918 here in Rochester, NY.

Love all the towels. I have few in stock and will have to weave a bunch for my stock at some point, but since they don't sell well at my shows, I need to concentrate on the scarves and shawls that do sell well. Plus I want to make some things just for me!

My 2018 shower you with love, health, and happiness in equal measure.

Angela Tucker said...

Good morning, Hillary. Your towels are always so lovely. I am definitely in love with the red! LOL

I feel like I completely lost 2017. I know I was busy...since I'm always tired. But if you asked me what I did...not really sure! Survived? Maybe that's the real answer.

I like your work table. I have a really nice corner to work in, but sadly lacking the table space that I need. Right now, I am using a card table. It works okay for baby quilts, not so much for the queen size quilt I'm working on. LOL I'll make it work or move to the floor. Thank goodness I'm still pretty limber for my age. Oh, and I love my 60 year old Singer...it sews a great seam.

Have an amazing day!

518Frenchgirl said...

All the best in 2018 Hilary. Your work space is awesome with all of that sunlight...soak it up. The towels are gorgeous, I think you should make yourself a batch of honey cookies to celebrate 2018. Take care friend, Marilou

KAM said...

Happy, happy New Year Hilary. May 2018 be gentle on you and fill your days with pleasures and sweet memories.
Kristin

MarthaVA said...

Happy 2018. I'm so sorry that Roy has left such a hurt in your heart. He was a special boy.
Your towels, as always, are lovely. Did you bind them?
Love your weaving............
Be safe. Have a good year.
Martha

Shammickite said...

Love those towels, I want them all. And the sewing table. You are making me feel guilty, I have a quilt half finished, must get back to it and get it done. I hate unfinished projects don't you? Happy and Healthy New Year to you and your family...... 2018 will be a good one I hope.

Vicky said...

Such warmth that exudes through all of your pictures. I want to reach out and touch all the pieces you weave and then sink into that quilt! Blessings to you in the new year, dear friend!

Sharon said...

Wishing you and all the rest of us peace and health in 2018 and some resolution to our national disquietude.

Daryl said...

wishing you a happy healthy headache free (or with a few as possible) 2018

Welcome to my world.

Because every thread counts

Because every thread counts