Pages

Crazy as a Loom

Saturday, May 19, 2012

Yup, I'm here.

Yesterday was not such a good day.  The cold and  accompanying cough made me feel like my head was going to explode.  I came home, took Roy for a long walk, and slept on the couch in the middle of the day.
Horrors.
Oh, well, I feel better today, cough has calmed down.  I decided to act 'as if' I was hunky dory.  A.O.K.

So I met my daughter at the river, and we went kayaking.
It was a beautiful day, and the sun was healing.

Looking up river.


Looking down river.


The water was like glass.  Easy paddling.



These kayaks were purchased at Dick's Sports.  They were not expensive, but they were worth every penny.  We have gotten so much use out of them.



In the quiet,  we noticed that we had company.


I think he was looking for LUNCH.  It was about that time.
d

He circled, and swooped.


And got closer and closer to the water.


Somehow I managed to snap this photo at just the moment he scooped something up out of the water.
But no matter how long I stare at it, I can't quite make it out.

What's for lunch???  Can you tell??



Whatever it is, was whisked up to  a large nest in the treetops.


I got sunburned, and I am tired.  But it was so worth it.
We went about two miles down and two miles back.


When my mother heard that I had gone kayaking, she shrieked......."Oh, my God, is she crazy??  She's SICK."

No.   No, mother, I am ALIVE.



11 comments:

Bev said...

That kayaking venue looks so peaceful. I live about 8 miles from a 127 square mile lake, right almost in the middle of SC. I've long been wanting a kayak, so maybe this is the year I'll get one. I think I have a friend whose kayak I can borrow just to see if I'll really be able to handle it. Have no one to go with... yet. I'll probably be able to find a friend somewhere. Summer will be here in a blast of hot air before we know it.

Country Girl said...

OMG, that's beautiful, Hilary. Beautiful. And yes, you are alive. I hope the beauty soothed your soul.

Anonymous said...

hi...it's hard to tell, but could it be a turtle? they often are hovering close to the surface....
Jaimie in IL

A Brit in Tennessee said...

What a serene and peaceful landscape, I can understand how it would make you forget your worries, aches and pains..
Good on you, for taking that step !
Can't make out dinner, looks 'blue'..hmmm.
A beautiful day, spent with your daughter, it doesn't get any better than that.
~Jo

Aguilar Elliot said...

what a nice view down the river. thanks for sharing.

Sharon said...

The colors in your world absolutely catch my breath. I may come back to a couple of these for color references later. I'm having a hard time picking just one - might have to combine a couple. What a lovely day for you. And what a great companion :)

Daryl said...

what fabulous photos ... glad your bad day is past and I hope it doesnt return too quickly

Hilary said...

Good for you. Getting out there and become part of nature is the best healer. Well, that and chicken soup.

It looks like a catfish to me.. or something similar in size. The bird's tail is distracting and appears to be part of the catch.

janet said...

You know, you've been living with this HH for so long, that I now find myself saying, "Janet, just get over it, go to work and stop whining, that's what Hilary does everyday!"
So when I get one of my fibro related headaches, I just DWHWD (dowhathilarywoulddo)
That's a beautiful place, I noticed I could see the bottom in the first picture, is it mostly shallow all along, or have some really deep parts too?
Ever taken Roy along in another type of boat/canoe? Some dogs are great at it.

Trish at Tangled Threads said...

I also thought "turtle" but maybe a fish. It seems kind of round to me to be a fish.

What a soothing and healing place. HH notwithstanding, how fortunate you are to be in a geographical and emotional place to be able to spend so much of your time doing what you love and with those you love. Trish

Devon said...

I also thought turtle.. is that very likely?
Kayaking is utterly peaceful.. I have a sign in my potting shed that says "loose yourself in nature and find peace". Happens every time!

Welcome to my world.

Because every thread counts

Because every thread counts