Pages

Crazy as a Loom

Thursday, December 9, 2010

What's important.

From december


We worked a bit on the 750 yard warp, but today was my mother's birthday, so I left the studio at 11am, and took her to lunch.
Sometimes I forget to just listen to her. She talks about stuff that I find incredibly crazy and/or boring, she is especially into television programs, and the stuff on Headline News, and Nancy Grace. I have to remind myself that it is important to her, and watching her face while I gave her my undivided attention over lunch made it perfectly clear how much my listening meant to her.
I wonder if I will live long enough to be a good daughter. The daughter I want to be.
She is 86 today. She gets around quite well, does all her own daily activities of personal care. She does the laundry here, all of it. Other than some questionable statements on occasion, she is sound in mind. She reads the paper, does the crossword every single day, and the cryptogram too.....what the hell is a cryptogram, I say?
She got her hair done after lunch, and had her eyebrows waxed. She bought some purple shampoo just for silver hair, although she has very that qualifies as silver.

When we got home, a couple of her friends stopped by with a cake for her birthday.
Then my daughter and granddaughter came for dinner. She thoroughly enjoyed herself all day long.
And that made me very, very happy.
My daughter called me tonight, to tell me about my grandson who was testing for his bodan belt at Tai Kwon Do. After the testing was through, all the kids were asked what they wanted for Christmas. Each of them came up with a toy, a video game, or some such thing.
When they got to Logan, he replied, " I want my family to be happy."
This is the same kid that said that the labyrinth was where you find the center of your heart.
Touche, Logie. Touche.






11 comments:

Gayle said...

Happy Birthday to Mamasan. Sounds like a good day to me. Were there any kitties involved anywhere in the day?
What's a day w/o kitties.
:D

Anonymous said...

I had my hair hilited and cut today. My hairdresser suggested the purple shampoo for my hair but said not to use it more than twice a week or my hair would turn purple. I opted not to buy it, at least until after the Holidays just in case I mess up. Don't want to look like Easter on Christmas you know.

Di

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...

Sounds like you come from good stock :-) and I've been making up for the hell I put my mother through during my teens for the past 20 years. I think I caught up. Yesterday.

claudia said...

It seems to me that you are a wonderful daughter. don't be so hard on yourself!
I think your grandson Logan is wise beyond his years. I would love to sit and have a conversation with him, he sounds interesting.

claudia said...

Oh GOSH! And Happy Belated Birthday to your mom!

Sharon said...

Oh Hilary, that's one of my favorite posts ever. It touched me, I have so been there. Touche. I struggled, and not as graciously as you, with my mother's TV circumscribed world. I wasn't the daughter I wanted to be more than I was. There are no do-overs. I'm sending a virtual sister-hug from Nevada. You gave your mother a wonderful birthday present - You.

Hilary said...

Oh Logan is a gem. That child has good genes. Speaking of which, happy birthday to your wonderful Mother.

Lovely post, H.

Jabberwarpy said...

I hope I'm still waxing my eyebrows at 86.

Oh, wait, I don't wax my eyebrows now. Well, you know what I mean -- I hope I still give a darn at 86! Your mom is lucky to have you.

BTW, was in Halcyon last week and they had your looper smack dab as the first thing you see when you come in. I took some pics that I can send you if you want!

Cait Throop said...

Oh that Logan, wow! He's a keeper!!! My mom (89)sounds like your mom. I, too, try to listen when she calls and tells me the same story over and over (though sometimes my TV is on the food channel and I'm watching that while making appropriate noises)...Love your post and Karen's comment made me laugh! xo

maggie said...

Giggle wiggle and ditto to Jabberwarpy re eyebrows !
The labyrinth..ah yes..sacred imagination, bless.

Bonnie Zieman, M.Ed. said...

What a beautiful photograph - and Logan is a very wise soul!

Welcome to my world.

Because every thread counts

Because every thread counts