Pages

Crazy as a Loom

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Beating the cold

The sun was shining most of today, and that made the cold bearable.
I got one of the two rugs I am 'reweaving' done. It turned out pretty good.
From december

I love the vintage fabric in this rug, and I love the colors. I will finish the other one tomorrow.
The Weaver's Friend loom is a great loom, 45" wide, with a sectional beam, and a great brake. It is sturdy and turns out great rugs. There are no treadles, the shed changes with every two beats of the beater. I have decided to sell it, because I really want to bring the Cranbrook downstairs, and put it in the space where the Weaver's Friend is. I don't do well getting rid of looms, but I am trying to streamline the studio, and make it more efficient. The bottom line is that I don't weave much on the Cranbrook where it is, and I think I would use it more if it were downstairs.
I am trying to wrap my brain around the fact that I can only weave on one loom at a time. It's so unfair.
I have to tell you about my guilty little pleasure. I have been indulging for 7 or 8 years now, and I am beyond saving. There is no turning back. I initially spent $3800 on this little 'indulgence' of mine, but OH MY, it is still the best money I ever spent. Every night, before I go to bed, I make my preparations. It doesn't take long. I make sure all the lights are off, before I go. Usually Eddie the pit bull goes with me. I don't have to go far, but I do have to go outside, nearly naked.
Yes. And bare feet. Sometimes there is snow, and sometimes, like last night, it is bitterly cold.
At first, my brain rebels, and I wonder if perhaps I am really crazy after all. Then, as I throw my towel over the railing, and lift the lid, and lower my body into the 104 degree swirling waters of my old hot tub, I know it was worth the pain of getting out there. And always will be.
For old bones, aching muscles, a body that has maybe done more in a day than it should, this old hot tub that I have dragged around the countryside, is pure heaven.
Sometimes, the wind is blowing, a fine misty spray covers my face, and I couldn't be happier. This is the most relaxing place in the world. I give thanks for it every time I sit myself down in it.
It may be cold out, but I don't mind.
From december









9 comments:

Marsel said...

That looks heavenly! (the hot tub, I mean, although the rug is lovely, too) :)

Anonymous said...

I don't have one of those, but we do have a jet tub in our master bathroom that works wonders too! Will hope for an outdoor hot tub at our next home wherever that may be. Sure makes the old bones work a lot better. :-)

Di

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...

Amazing, the rug re-do. And.. I have always loved the hot tub idea, but I am SOO chicken to actually buy one and then not have the guts to GET OUT THERE into it. and really... it's the getting OUT of it and back across the chilly divide. Looks wonderful though -

claudia said...

I would love to have a guilty little pleasure like that! It looks so soothing.
Love the newly weaved rug. The colors are great.
I started weaving on this little Bulgarian Loom tonight. It's just for practice and to get the feel for it. My tension sucks right now. But that iswhat the practice is all about. Right?!?

SpinMeAYarn said...

how gorgeous that redone rug looks, it looks utterably desirable....
and as for the hot tub, well that's wonderful too,
i really do enjoy your posts and photos, so inspiring, come them coming,
best wishes also for 2011!
regards
liz

Darlene said...

Wish I was closer! I would happily take that Weaver's Friend off your hands. Wanna trade for a 24" Ashford RH loom? :D Just askin'! I agree, it's totally unfair that we can only weave on one loom at a time!

Love the muted, faded colors on that old rug you rewove. It's a pain to take them apart, but the results are so worth it.

KarenInTheWoods said...

Ohhhhh I know what you mean about the tub! I convinced hubby to put a big whirlpool in our bathroom when we built our house. So I don't even have to sneak outside nearly naked to use it! hahahahahha

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Karen and Steve
(Our Blog) RVing: Small House... BIG Backyard
http://kareninthewoods-kareninthewoods.blogspot.com/

Country Girl said...

Pure heaven!

Hiking in Maine one year, we stayed at a place that had a hot tub in the yard. The nights were cool and it was so lovely after a day of hard work and aching muscles, to relax in that tub of wonderfulness. Yay, you!

Theresa said...

Oh Hilary, I'm so jealous! That hot tub looks perfect for winter. We have plans for one once the deck gets done...some day.
The rug is lovely. Moving a Cranbrook loom downstairs sounds like a big project but they are lovely looms.

Welcome to my world.

Because every thread counts

Because every thread counts