Pages

Crazy as a Loom

Sunday, December 5, 2010

Whatever

Whew, what a relief. The three day open house is over for another year. It was VERY successful. Thanks for all your good wishes.
I can't believe how tired I am from being "on" for three days.

I sent cookies out this morning, to Karen in Ct, the first winner, and to Debbie in Cobleskill. Hope you guys like them!!!
There are still some left, and they need to find a home, before I eat them all and have to buy a complete new wardrobe!!

Now that the Country Christmas is over,I can get back to my regular routine.
From december


It is time to do some inventory, and then to restock the shelves over the winter.
It is also an opportunity for me to look back at what I have done for the past year, and reevaluate. Maybe change things up a bit, maybe not. Look at what worked, what made me happy, and what didn't.
When the studio becomes real drudge and no fun, then I have not done my homework.
Because I basically love what I am doing, and I want to do it for a very long time. If it doesn't work, doesn't make me happy, then I have lost my balance, lost my way.
And I don't want to do that for long.
From december

About a year ago, actually the last week of December, I had shingles in my right ear. The pain started in the back of my head, and involved the ear, my right eye, my right jaw, and ran right up my cheekbone. I was on a bunch of medications, and for a couple of months, I struggled to maintain my schedule. Mostly I took naps. Lots of naps.
Several weeks ago, I had a root canal. It never dawned on me what problems it would cause, but within days, the shingle pain returned. I went back to the endodontist a couple of times, and finally determined that my teeth were not the issue, that nerve pain was.
Fast forward to last Friday, right before the Christmas tour; I deposited myself at the doctor's office without an appt, begging to be fit in to their schedule.
They obliged, and I got some medication that is supposed to interrupt the nerve pain.
And yes, thank God, it works!! It really works.
Unfortunately, it knocks me for a loop, as my mother would say.
From december


So now that the rush is over, and under the circumstances, I think that naps may just be in order again.
There you have it.










9 comments:

Vicki said...

Congratulations on a your Christmas open house! When you do look back and reflect on this year, one suggestion, don't change the weaving boot camp one bit! I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. And I will return at some point to enjoy it all over again! Vicki in CT

Bonnie Zieman, M.Ed. said...

Hi Hilary: What beautiful photographs of your precious creations!

I am quite amazed to hear of your shingles story as I had much the same experience. During a period, over fifteen years ago, when my husband's business was falling into bankruptcy, with all the attendant worries, I developed shingles on my cheek. Incredibly painful! I understand they have better meds now to interrupt the nerve pain.

Anyway, I was told that those nerve endings could act up and the shingles come back later. But life went on and I forgot about the episode. Then, like you, I had a tooth that kept bothering me. I had a marvelous dentist and he assured me over and over again that the tooth was healthy and he could see nothing that could account for the pain. After several weeks, I went to him in distress saying please just pull the tooth - it has to go! He reluctantly agreed. And the pain continued even though the 'aching tooth' was gone. Then it finally dawned on me, that it was the shingles again. Grrrr....

Hope you didn't go through the root canal for nothing. Anyway, take care of yourself. Psychosomatic research seems to connect shingles to fear and tension ... and I have not had any more episodes (in fifteen years) since I began a practice of meditation. Of course, we have not gone through any more bankruptcies either!

Country Girl said...

I don't know how you do it all, Hilary. But I'm glad you had such a successful weekend. And now please rest up. It's time.

Tiggeriffic said...

I have never had shingles but my son, Rich had them in his eye and down the side of his head. He ended up in the hospital in isoation for 1 week.. Oh he was in so much pain.. stress is very hard on our bodies..
Rich takes a nap everyday.. So I suggest you see what your wonderful cats are doing and lay down with them and take a long snooze with them. or a power nap.. power naps are good for us.. I take a 20 minute nap everyday.. It's a wonderful thing to do and I feel so much better afterwards.. ta ta for now from Iowa

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your great weekend!! Imagine my surprise when I checked and just found out I won your cookies... Needless to say I am so excited!!! After a hectic day on the farm, we are finally having supper, and I am checking my computer... You made my day,,, and after weaving for 3 years, I am just finishing up my first warp of rugs!!!! Rugs are such fun,,, I never knew, having been previously obsessed with dish towels!! Thanks again Hillary!!

Debbie

claudia said...

What a fun three days! You deserve to take those naps now. My goodness you work hard. But if you love it, it's not really work...right?!?
I hope your pain stays away.
Now that the Country Christmas weekend is over, you may find that you aren't stressed to get so much done in so little time, the shingles will leave you alone!

Darlene said...

Unless you've done a crafts fair or an open house, you don't realize how stressful it is to be "on" all the time. And three days is a long time to be "on," even if you did enjoy it! It's no wonder the shingles flared up. These things always seem to happen at the worst times, don't they?

Rest up and take care of yourself. I'm in awe of how much you accomplish. But now, you deserve those naps! :D

Jabberwarpy said...

Congrats on getting through it all, and finding some relief from your pain. That house sure looked "open" to me!

DebbieB said...

I'm an introvert, so being "on" for even an hour is difficult. Recently I demo'd spinning at our local zoo for 6 hours. Afterward I wanted to become a hermit in a cave somewhere.

My husband suffers from intermittent shingles pain in his leg. He doesn't like doctors, so he suffers instead of getting the relief he needs. *sigh* I'm glad you've gotten some meds that work for you!

And take another nap for me!

Welcome to my world.

Because every thread counts

Because every thread counts