Pages

Crazy as a Loom

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Taking a break


Some weeks I have ZERO commitments, and can weave away to my heart's content. Then other weeks, life intervenes. This has been one of those weeks.
I did manage to finish a couple of rugs.
One of them is the hit and miss rug I had on the loom a couple of days ago. It is a happy rug, I'm glad you like it.
From Crazy as a Loom

Yes, I sew all those strips together. I cut the fabric with an electric cutter, and mix them all up in a plastic tote. I put the tote on the floor next to the sewing machine, and sew them together in a totally haphazard manner.
Cause sometimes, that is how I feel.
Then other times, I feel more ........organized.
Then I make rugs that I would call 'cottage-y', if I wasn't up to my eyeballs with that word. It makes me shiver.
From Crazy as a Loom

But you see what I mean? I like the rug, just need to call it something a little more original.

And thanks, Sharon, for the book suggestion, The Help. I read it like I was devouring a bag of chips. And it was fantastic.
The porch may actually be done this week, and I can't wait to take photos of it. It has taken about twice as long as planned, but I know it is going to be totally worth the wait.
I can see myself now, rocking on the porch with a glass of wine iced tea, the breeze playing a sweet tune on the wind chimes. Ah, heaven.
Or taking a lunch break, with a huge salad, a glass of wine iced tea, and fresh country air.
Sure beats all those lunch breaks I took during the 20 years I worked in a prison.

Someone told me once I should write a book about that time of my life, and that experience.
And it's true, I could come up with a whole lot of stories about working there. Heaven knows. Would curl your hair, shock you to your shoes, make you laugh, maybe cry.
But that would mean that I would have to RELIVE it, and honestly folks, I think I would rather
have a lobotomy.
And on that note, I shall retire.
Cheers.





6 comments:

Sharon said...

Thanks for explaining the strips - hope to be adding my own tomorrow. I'm glad you like book. I think it's going to be a classic.

Anonymous said...

HA! I shiver at the 'cottage' word too. Love the hit and miss rug. Sometimes a rug with too much pattern bugs my eyes, although I do love BOTh of the rugs you pictured in this post.

Di

Nancy said...

I forgot you worked in a prison. I can well imagine why you wouldn't want to go back there - even in memories.

Love the rugs, especially that top one. Congrats on the new porch. Just in time for doing nothing.

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...

A Prison!?... oh, but to hear just a story or two.

Love the rugs you put together haphazard-like. And still coveting the jeans rugs...will claim one soon....

LA said...

The "hit or miss" rug style is more my personality....which makes you wonder if some one with too much time on their hands will do research on that choice!!!

Need A Latte Mom said...

I love the first rug. No, I LOVE the first rug. How wide do you make your strips? I really look forward to seeing your your porch turns out.

Welcome to my world.

Because every thread counts

Because every thread counts