Pages

Crazy as a Loom

Saturday, May 29, 2010

I need.

Good grief.
Every time I go to write a post, my text is underlined. It took me a while, but I finally figured out that if I went to 'edit html', that I could erase the part that made that happen.
I have been interestingly relaxed of late. No orders at present, I am doing whatever moves me at the studio. I wove towels for a few days, and they turned out to be quite nice.
I have three of them, plus the 'extended version'. Don't laugh.

From Crazy as a Loom


I don't usually sell them, because I end up giving them away, to family, friends, friends of friends, blogger friends. You get the idea. But I do think it would look really nice if I had a shelf of them. Makes me look like a more serious weaver.
But as always, my passion moves in. This is what I have been doing for the last couple of days.
I knew these porch railings had a purpose other than to keep me from dancing off the edge.
From Crazy as a Loom

Playing with fabric is addictive, right Sharon???
Mostly, I am trying not to overstimulate myself. This time of year can make you crazy. Or at least crazier than you were before it started. There are so many things to do, and so much clamoring for attention, it is hard sometimes to know where you should focus.
The inside of the house needs cleaning. The pool is about to open. The back porch is covered with pollen, and all the 'summer' furniture needs to be cleaned. All the nurseries are flaunting their flowers, and shrubs, and trees, making the garden fairy weak in the knees. Then there is sewing to do, and all these looms crying out my name. I know, you think I am making this up, but it's sadly true. There is fabric to be dyed, fabric to be cut, fabric to be sewn.
I have one NAKED loom. I am so sorry.
Then there are the woodchucks, and the Havaheart trap that I lent to someone, and can't remember who. There are squirrels in my bird feed stash, weeds in my garden, bamboo (actually knotweed) threatening to take over my entire acre and a half. Then there are grandkids, and their soccer games, and baseball games, and graduations from every grade, including preschool that I should be going to. The refrigerator needs cleaning. I need to sort through all my books, and gift a whole bunch of them to someone. I need to get the racks on my car, and get my kayaks out. I need to finish that scarf I started knitting before Christmas, maybe it will be done by this Christmas. I have a class to teach at the Adirondack Folk School. I need to study my book, Quick Books for dummies. That would be me. I have three old quilts that need backings.
There is altogether too much NEEDINESS. Perhaps that is why I am looking at vacation cottages with lust. I need to NOT need to do anything.
Can that be done??????

11 comments:

Country Girl said...

My favorite line:
I knew these porch railings had a purpose other than to keep me from dancing off the edge.

Why can't you hire a local girl to do the grunt work of the piddly things that need to be done so that you can do what you want?
Just make a list and have her stay for a day or two. I know if I were a young girl, I'd be happy as hell to make a little bit of money for a couple days of 'work'. !!

weaverpat said...

The towels turned out great!

Oh, those chores will still be around. Enjoy life, it only happens once!

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

You are amazing! Everything is just beautiful! just beautiful! Those towels are ..gorgeous, not to mention the rugs.

re'New said...

What's the saying? I met myself going? I feel that way all the time. Should I make rugs? should I sheetrock/paint/side the house/landscape?
Should I catch a horse and ride/brush/talk to? etc etc etc...I get stuck sometimes and don't know where to start.

I like your new pitcher takin' spot!

Anonymous said...

YOU... go to a cottage and do nothing? Doubt it. :-)

DI

Tina J said...

I know exactly what you are feeling! A little overwhelming isn't it! We just have to keep plugging along.

Joanna Jenkins said...

Whoa! You MADE those?!?!?!?! What talent.

Obviously this is my first stop at your blog and I'm blown away. You are very talented.

I'm off to have a look around and read more.

Happy weekend,
jj

ethelmaepotter! said...

I love the way the rugs on the porch rail look - they cast deep shadow on the polished wooden floor, but allow bright spots of sunlight to burst through. I think you should leave some there, always!

Hilary said...

Yes, it can be done but you'll have to put some time into researching how. ;)

They look great.. such a talent, you are.

bspinner said...

Towels are great!!! I have a set just waiting to be hemmed. Oh, how I hate hemming!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm inspired by your towels---I start my weaving class tonight, and I hope the teacher lets us make some towels and maybe fabric for some kind of bag. The last couple of years have been a little rough for me---I've been sick, my dad's been sick, job turmoil, etc. etc. When all those little chores pile up and start to seem overwhelming, I try to remember to be glad that a weedy yard or a mountain of dirty laundry is ALL I have to worry about. I'm sure you know what I mean---but sometimes, a shift in perspective is a good thing.

(Your rugs and new porch are pretty cool, too!)

Brenda.

Welcome to my world.

Because every thread counts

Because every thread counts