Pages

Crazy as a Loom

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

So shoot me.....again.

Finally, two and a half days into it, as Sharon over at In Stitches put it, I 'whupped' this warp.
I can't believe how many mistakes you can make over the course of 493 threads.
From Crazy as a Loom

While I was anguishing over it, I was muttering to myself, again, that I would figure out a way to insert heddles where I needed them to fix mistakes.
As if in answer to my prayer, my neighbor, who is the master maker of my loom parts, happened by.
And in a matter of moments, he told me just how to do it.
ACK.
Why didn't I think of it????
Non weavers can skip this part.
You put a little piece of wire, bent in a U shape, over the back of the heddle bar. I did the top first. Holding the heddle in front of the bar, you slide the hole of the heddle over the two prongs of the U shape, and bend them back to hold the heddle in place. Repeat on the bottom heddle bar.
OMG
Perfect.
This pattern is a huck/waffle weave. I think I am going to love it. All the more for all the work it has taken.
From Crazy as a Loom

You might remember that I put a new back door in the kitchen last winter. I saved the old door, which was painted white on the inside. The outside of the door had not been addressed in a very long time. And it has the most amazing texture.
From Crazy as a Loom

I wanted to do something with it, so I had it leaning in the corner for a while. And then it hit me.
I took the knobs off it, and the hinges too.
And it has a brand new career.


Do you like it??? I am in love with it.
As you have heard, my DH says I am easily amused.
Do you think it should be a bit lower? Or is it OK??
Do you think it needs some adornment, maybe some dried flowers? Or au naturel?
From Crazy as a Loom



And I don't care if I am easily amused.
Country Living, eat your heart out.



14 comments:

Kathy said...

I enjoy your blog so much, Hilary--all your life experiences & your absolute pleasure in weaving. I aspire to make rugs as beautiful as yours--one of these days, since I recently got a floor loom that should be heavy-duty enough to handle one! Thanks for the heddle hint, too. My problem as more often been not enough heddles on, rather than a skipped one, but I'll keep that in mind.

As to your headboard, that's a very clever idea. I think I'd put it a bit lower, tho--even with the top of the bed, perhaps.

Kathy N. in California

Delighted Hands said...

I just ordered a kit to make some waffle weave towels! The door is perfect as a headboard! (Yes, lower it to the level of the bed itself.)

LA said...

OMG....that heddle trick is awesome. Why didn't WE think of that??? Sometimes you just need someone else to look at it to give you the solution. I agree with Kathy...the new headboard could go a little lower.

Country Girl said...

A little lower and definitely au naturel. Love this!!

KarenInTheWoods said...

OH SO COOL!!!!

I think a tad bit lower... and then some dried grapey vines with tiny dried flowers tucked in . sprawled across the top edge????

just my thinking..... your mileage may vary

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Karen and Steve
(Our Blog) RVing: Small House... BIG Backyard
http://kareninthewoods-kareninthewoods.blogspot.com/

Hilary said...

Oh I love it too.. bright idea, for sure. I would bring it down a bit too. As for adding something to it.. probably. I bet you'll figure out the prefect adornment when the time is right. Clever you.

Anonymous said...

I love the simplicity of the headboard just as it is. OR, you could change it for each season of the year by adding natural dried flowers to the top. Re-use is what it's all about these days.

Di

Joyce said...

What a great idea!!!! You are sooooo creative. That said, I would prefer to see it lower, and definitely sans any other decoration. Personally i loathe artificial flowers, vines, etc. But, dear one, it is your headboard, and it is your house, so you can do whatever you like!

ApplewoodHandwovens said...

Hillary you are such a treat!! Your ideas are a joy...
Maybe lower the door a bit but love it naturally.. it's perfect! Only nature could design it and you figured how to use it..
Great!
Rosie

re'New said...

You could raise the bed a bit with some of those bed risers. More room underneath for storage and then you wouldn't have to move the door... I like a tall bed!

Sharon said...

I'm thinking the headboard is too high. I'm a fan of Fibonacci numbers so I'd say you need get that headboard in line with an odd measurement.

Thanks for the advice, suggestions and great eye. I so appreciate your help. I don't remember your friend's name but I think she knows too.

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...

A little bit lower, and just the way it is. AWESOME!!!!! really really vintagely beautiful.

Valerie said...

Uhm....could there be lead in that buckling paint?

It's on my mind because we just had to sign a waiver saying there are no children or pregnant women living in this house while they replace our 35 year old windows. Otherwise they would have had to mask everything off around each window.

Lynn said...

I just wound on a 250-end warp (although the front isn't tied on yet). I have a wicked sinus infection. What do you want to bet this combination will result in a screwed-up warp?

Welcome to my world.

Because every thread counts

Because every thread counts