Pages

Crazy as a Loom

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Pay attention.

This blog thing is very helpful.
Usually when I tell DH that I have a 'job' for him to do, he makes a face. But he had already read my post, so he already KNEW that I would ask him to help me.

So, is this an improvement???

From Crazy as a Loom

It does look better. I did look up the danger of lead paints, by the way. Good point. The paint is not flaky at all, it is hard as a rock. And since this is the room that I use when I stay at the studio, the kids won't be sleeping in it. As long as you don't touch it, then put your hands in your mouth, or inhale the dust, you're ok; providing that there is lead in it. Which it probably does.

I have really not accomplished that much this week. I can't explain it. Just one of those weeks, I guess.
I did have some fun with these towels, once I ironed out all my mistakes.
I was in the kitchen, and happened to look into the other room, and saw this shot. Another 'under the loom' shot.
First with the flash.
From Crazy as a Loom

Then with no flash.
From Crazy as a Loom

I was weaving the afternoon away, trying to ignore the fact that I didn't really feel all that well. I finished two towels, and brought them home to hem and wash.
When I cut them apart, I was amazed to see that one of them was TWICE as long as it should be. So tell me, what do you do with a 5 ft dish towel? Could it be used by two people at once, you take an end, and I'll take the other???
Sometimes I just don't have an excuse for my craziness.
Ah, well, this week is almost over.
Next week, I'll hopefully get a chance to do it all over again.





14 comments:

Country Girl said...

I think that headboard looks great!
And the 5-foot long dishtowel really is pretty funny (sorry)!

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...

Perfect :-)

Gail said...

I love the look.

Kathy said...

Sew the short ends of the long towel together and make a big loop. Make a dowel to fit the width of the towel plus a few inches, and mount it under a cabinet or on the wall. When ready to launder, take the towel off the dowel. Friends in Canada have one of these and it's great to just dry hands on.

Just an idea....no good weaving should go un used....or you could use it as a table runner...

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you have yourself a nice table runner. :-)

Delighted Hands said...

Head board looks great-thanks for the laugh about the towel-very encouraging to all of us newbie weavers!

Linda said...

use it as a table runner, I would it it were mine.

bspinner said...

Great headboard!!!

I like Kathy's idea. I rmember when I was young restrooms used cloth towels much the as Kathy suggested. I love the colors and waffle weave of your towels.

KarenInTheWoods said...

Ohhh I like that headboard a lot.... perhaps a sprayed on coat of polyurathane (satin finish) would keep any flakes from possibly coming off?

Your shots from under the loom are GREAT! And your towels look cheerful and happy.

Thanks for sharing!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Karen and Steve
(Our Blog) RVing: Small House... BIG Backyard
http://kareninthewoods-kareninthewoods.blogspot.com/

Sue O said...

What Kathy said! I have seen old ones in antique shops, some had neat wrought iron brackets that held the towel bar while others were wood. My grandmother had one in her kitchen and several of the towels to go on it.

Love the headboard! I had done something similar with a wrought iron grill that originally was in an old storm door but it was a bit too narrow so had my poor DH make a very simple frame for it.

Hilary said...

The headboard door looks perfect now. Good hubby!

Sharon said...

Can you cut it into matching napkins? I sure do love the simplicity of red and white - crisp and peaceful.

pamela in japan said...

i love your cats, your blog and i love your stories almost as much as i love you weaving. maybe i love them all the same amount. thank you for bringing some color into my life.

FabShabbyRoses said...

Just found your blog! I absolutely love my visit here. I've had such fun reading. You are so amusing! Love the weaving, the old house/studio, the cats, your wonderful family. You have such a kind soul! I know nothing about weaving, you make it all so fasinating! I'm reading back thru to the beginning....Thank you for sharing your thoughts, your loves, you life! Carolyn

Welcome to my world.

Because every thread counts

Because every thread counts