Pages

Crazy as a Loom

Sunday, May 2, 2010

In a funk.


From Crazy as a Loom



You know those days when you can't get out of your own way??? You know the ones. Sometimes it's a day, and sometimes it runs into two, or three. You don't know what ails you, you're not sick. You're kind of tired, and you wander around from one thing to the next, and every time you start something, you think you should probably be somewhere else, doing something else.
Do you have those days?
You dread looking in the mirror, you know it will be scary. You're hungry, and you're not. You think you might be tired, so you take a nap, but when you wake up, you feel worse. You are easily annoyed, and quick to snap a response to any commentary.
I hear this little voice, "Buck up, little camper."
Grrrrrr.
I'll give you 'buck up'.

Then today, grumpy as ever, disjointed, and ever out of sorts, I took my mother to the grocery store, for her weekly shop fest.
I didn't want to go. It was hot today in northeastern New York, 80 and still. I didn't want to do anything. And in fact, I couldn't see much good about anything.
Whoa, bad mood or what???
So we went into Hannaford. She takes off on her little motorized sit down scooter.
Here in these parts, we have Hannaford and Price Chopper. No Winn-Dixie, Krogers, Albertsons, Puff Daddys.........I just threw that last one in.......sorry.
And then it happened.
Leaning on a cart at the end of the aisle, keeping my mother in view......she tends to get anxious if she thinks she is totally alone........I took note of some of my fellow shoppers.
One lady, all of my age,large chested, with a tank top and cleavage to spare.......sporting no bra.
And I thought I was a mess.
OK.
A young woman, also riding a cart, whose children were filling her shopping cart, due to her severe disabilities. Young, a mother, disabled. Coping.
Oh, my.
All through the store, in the produce aisle, in the cookie aisle, in the frozen foods, there were people in lots worse shape........no pun intended.......than I. They were shopping for dinner, they were reading their lists, trying to keep their kids in line.
Suddenly, I was grateful.
For my pain in the butt mother who insisted on buying the brand name baby aspirin for $2 more than the store brand, no matter what my argument was.
For a hot May day with no snow.
For money on my debit card to buy groceries with.
For a pain here and there that tells me I am still alive.
For the option of doing nothing, when I can't concentrate on anything.
Yeah.
It's the difference in perspectives........what's on the loom, what's under the loom?????

From Crazy as a Loom

It's good to look at things from different angles. Don't you think??

I made one of these rugs yesterday. I am torn between how cool I think they are, and what a pain they are to make.
From Crazy as a Loom

Not the usual.
The pieces......called heel strips.....are put in the shed individually, so it is time consuming.
On the last one, I trimmed the edges pretty short, but this time, I said, nah......I don't think I'm going to trim them at all. Got myself quite the little attitude, didn't I?
Anyway, I think I like them better this way. Au naturale.

From Crazy as a Loom

Sometimes, the process you go through isn't pretty, but I am OK with the results.
And isn't that what matters?

17 comments:

LA said...

Sometimes the universe is completely out of whack! Just ride the wave....

Mary Bergfeld said...

I love your perspective on life. This is my first visit here, but I'll be back more often. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

P.S I love the title of your blog :-). Very clever.

Anonymous said...

Different angles indeed whether it be on a loom, through the camera's lens or in a grocery aisle. The view of the eye teaches us much. Sometimes we just forget to listen to what the eye is seeing.

Di
The Blue Ridge Gal

re'New said...

Is it the phase of the moon? I feel the same way. Can't get anything done. Don't want to do anything. etc. etc. I'm just trying to white knuckle it until things turn around.

Sweetpea said...

Was funking around a bit myself today including my own blogpost today, ah well... but I agree with ya - the process isn't always pretty.

On the other hand, this rug is FABU!!! and I adore those untrimmed edges. I hope you'll make more! And the one *under* the loom is so, so pretty and feels very spring-ish :>]]

Sharon said...

My mother used to say something to the effect, I felt sorry that I had no shoes - until I met a man who had no feet. I think the perspective thing is helpful and sometimes we just need to step back to broaden our view.

Gjeani said...

I guess we all have days like that until something or someone gets us on our feet again. I have an aunt that is always happy, she wakes up , sees that the sun is shining and tells me, Giny that makes my day, the sun is shining! And when it is raining she does the same. Becourse rain is just what we needed, that makes my day! I admire that a lot I think that is all we need, a bit of sun and a bit of rain . That's life.

ps. I love your rugs! they also can make your day.

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...

We all have those days, and it's so important to look from a different angle.

LOVE the colors in this rug!!!... just beautiful.

Hilary said...

Yes, perspective is everything. We so need those little reminders every now and then. Those rugs are so vibrant and beautiful.

Tina J said...

I wonder if you are morning the loom that recently left. They are such a part of our lives, we miss them when they are gone. Unless of course they were an absolute bear to work with! LOL!

Tina J said...

mourning!

ethelmaepotter! said...

"It's the difference in perspectives........what's on the loom, what's under the loom?????"

What a great metaphor. And I adore the rug on the loom!

dorothylochmaben said...

What a great description of those odd kind of phases we go through. Even when you see things that should put everything in perspective it doesn't always work and then I feel guilty ! Luckily I find these odd off days don't happen too frequently !
Your rugs are beautiful and the colours certainly help to cheer us up !
Thanks for sharing those feelings, you are not alone !

bspinner said...

Love your discription of the people you saw in the store!!!! People watching is one of my very favorite things to do.

One of the things I'm grateful for is,
being able to reading my favorite blogs and of course your's is one of them.

Michael said...

"One lady, all of my age,large chested, with a tank top and cleavage to spare.......sporting no bra."

Why did YOU get to check something off of MY bucket list? What gives??

That was fun. :)

Sue Schwarz said...

Sounds like we are on the same wavelength this week. Someone said they were trying to keep out of the fetal position, and my response was 'what's wrong with the fetal position, I spent all yesterday afternoon there'. Had a different perspective when I got up too. All is good in this world, just that sometimes we need to step back and regroup.

Sue Schwarz

Anonymous said...

Good luck on the flag giveaway! I'm rooting for you!!!

DI

Welcome to my world.

Because every thread counts

Because every thread counts