Pages

Crazy as a Loom

Tuesday, January 4, 2022

Checking in.

This is a photo from 3 years ago, when the Baldwin Corners trail that ran along the old canal was in its original state.  Fast forward after months and months of big machinery and construction work, and you could drive a truck down that path today. The trees that line it are long gone, and while it is part of the NY State Empire Trail, that spans 750 miles from NYC to Canada, and then across the state to Buffalo, it does not have the charm of the old pathway, and I miss it.



We have been experiencing some brutally cold weather, so I put this old heater on FB marketplace for free.  
I was inundated with messages, and the first person to inquire about it came and picked it up about lunch time.
He said, "we sure can use this",  and truth it was just in my way.



Far better repurposed and keeping someone warm, than sitting in my attic.


I felt that January needed some RED.....so these are the towels that are coming off 
the AVL.

They are bright and should warm up any kitchen.  I might have to keep a couple.



Finally after 6 months, my knee does not hurt every minute, and for that I am grateful.  It's been a long haul.  It could bend more, to be honest.  But I can do pretty much everything that I need to do, and I'm finally sleeping without constant pain.

But keeping it real, now I am dealing with something else.  I have actually had this issue since last January.  I guess I was hoping it would go away on its own.
I have paroxysmal  atrial fib.  I've been to a cardiologist and had testing done, and apparently  this is a common ailment among my age group.   
Terrific.

It comes and it goes, I might not have it for a month, and then I will have it every day for a week.  It's distressing, and annoying and I want it gone.
What I really want is to get off  the medication that I'm on that is supposed to  suppress it, 
because  I am not at all sure it does anything, other than making me tired all the time.
I'm scheduled for an ablation, which will hopefully put an end to it, but it's not until April.
So I just have to get from here to there.  



I'm trying to keep a good attitude, and I'm planning all kinds of ways to keep myself busy, and preoccupied.  One thing about winter, it's a great time to weave and sew.

I've come to the conclusion that getting older is quite often learning how to jump over one obstacle after another.  
"One day at a time" comes to mind, making the absolute best of every day.

And gratitude, always.

Years ago, in a very difficult time of my life, I had a small notebook that I wrote in daily, for a year.  Every day I wrote down 5 things I was grateful for.  It was a great exercise, it really helped. I never want to forget how blessed I am.
My family, my incredible friends, my dogs, my safe, warm home, my health with all its glitches, my life.
Be grateful first, bitch later, that's my motto.


Sesame garlic tofu with udon noodles, and broccoli.
Yum.

6 comments:

deodar said...

For what it's worth, my husband had vtach - the lower part of his heart wouldn't stay in rythm . He had ablation and it did wonders for him, hope you get the same result.

Boud said...

I like your attitude. Remembering the good parts without ignoring the setbacks. I've had a couple of friends go through ablation and get great benefit from it.

Joanne Noragon said...

I'm betting on the ablation.
Red is my next color, too.

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...

Just love those towels, gorgeous color... feel better, friend.

Sharon said...

I’m trying to get back to blogging and reading blogs. I’m sure sorry to see all the hurdles you’ve had to cross and hope there’s promise in 2022.

MarthaVA said...

Hilary, I’ve been absent from reading blogs, because of the cancer found in August. I have now decided against the knee replacement. I just don’t think I can deal with the pain in recovery. Some other reasons too, though they may sound morbid to some.
I’m struggling mentally with this cancer. I’m supposed to start aromatase inhibitors because the cancer was estrogen (strongly) positive despite the fact I’m post menopausal and had a total hysterectomy in 2011. I had a major heart attack in 2007 that killed me, luckily I was in the hospital when I died and they brought me back. I was recently diagnosed with arterial sclerosis as well. The AI’s can cause heart issues, raise cholesterol, and other issues plus cause unpleasant effects like muscle and bone pain, like I don’t have enough of that already.
Now I have to decide whether to take the AI’s or not. I’ve been told that the cancer will return, and will metastasize in the bones, even tho I had stage 1 and a lumpectomy with clear lymph nodes.
One thing or another - cancer or heart failure - will kill me. What do I choose? Quality over quantity? I’m struggling. Like you, I’m trying to be grateful for the small, daily pleasures.
I hope your ablation fixes the afib. I feel you on the exhaustion and brain fog, lack of energy and focus. Glad your knee pain is somewhat better.
Martha

Welcome to my world.

Because every thread counts

Because every thread counts