Pages

Crazy as a Loom

Sunday, March 15, 2020

Well, that's a revolting turn of events.

Actually, there are several, right???

So what am I doing over here??
Well, for some reason, I am unable to upload photos to my Word Press site, a very disturbing development, since I have paid dearly for that web site.

So, here I am.....for today at least.....and hope that you find me.

The good news is that my newest grandson has arrived.


He  came into the world quickly, like he couldn't wait.  As you can see he has a welcoming committee.   His brother and sister have been waiting, and not patiently either.


For several days, this big sister wanted nothing but HIM.......she has calmed down finally.  But imagine how exciting it was for her!!
Look at that smile!


My couch finally came back, and it is definitely BRIGHT.   It's not exactly what I expected, the swatch did not show all those flowers.  But it's ok, I think I like it anyway.
My daughters comments:
                                            "Mom, it looks like it could have been on Mad Men."

                                            "Mom, it's you."


Ok, then.

Lois and I started walking on the quite not finished "bike  trail" that is supposed to be going from just north of NYC, all the way to Montreal.  At least there aren't as many ticks, since all the foliage on the shoulders has been leveled.


I am still sewing for "dress a girl around the world", and I decided to whip up my own bias tape.
You can only buy solid colors in the store, and I was wanting something a little more zippy.




My cilantro is growing in the window.
It makes me feel sane.

Because the world outside is making me feel a little crazy.


I have never seen this kind of pandemonium in my lifetime, and I am sure most of us haven't.
I went to the grocery store today, and the reality of it hit me.  No bananas.  No tuna.  No mayonnaise.  No toilet paper.  No paper towels.  Very little bread.  
Soup aisle decimated.
I didn't look, but was told there was NO MEAT.
Not that I cared, but all the boxed mac and cheese was gone.

People were shopping, but making a concerted effort to keep their distances.
All the while, they were filling their carts.........it was very obviously not a regular shopping trip.

I don't mind staying home.  I'm very good at it.  I amuse myself quite well, and always have since I was a kid.  Maybe it was something that went along with being an only child.
I have weaving, sewing, and a ton of other projects to keep me busy.  I'll be ok.
But seeing  all this happening, I, for one,  feel the need for some introspection, and I imagine that many of you do.
It seems to me that while we have progressed in so many ways, we have still lost our way.
Honestly, I am without words.


This, still, makes sense.


 Weaving, I relax, and I let the rhythm of the loom soothe me.




Stay in the day.

More true now than ever.





15 comments:

Margie said...

Beautiful grandson! Your grand daughter looks so proud. I like your couch also. Love it when my daughter brings something cool from the thrift store and tells me it looked like me. �� Margie.

farmer's wife weaving said...

Oh what a beautiful little grandson. It is awesome to see how excited his brother and sister are, lovely smile on big sister. Weave away and enjoy the zen time we weavers get to enjoy.

messymimi said...

Wishing your newest family members many happy returns of his birthday!

HoopdieDo said...

Congratulations on the new grandson. Adorable photos. I started making my own bias tape a couple years ago when I made t shirt quilts for family members. Each time I do it I have to re-watch you tube videos all over again to get the hand of it. For some odd reason, I find it a satisfying thing to make.

claudia said...

Congratulations on your new grandson! He is a handsome boy!
Even though we are all kind of self quarantining somewhat these days, I find it comforting that we have each other in the blogosphere to "talk".
I was out yesterday doing my regular shopping while all the others were doing their version of panic shopping. I'm sorry. The only thing I was concerned about was if there are people there hoarding my favorite ice cream, because it is the best stuff to keep me from binge eating, while on my new lifestyle of healthy eating. (Until today, we had company, she brought cookies and brownies, then they took us out to dinner!)
Hang in there Hilary, we are al in this together!
I love your couch!!!

Rita said...

Congratulations on the new baby boy! They all look so happy to greet him!

I am used to being alone, but I will miss the visits from my grandsons and son and DIL. We are all on self-isolation right now. Grandson, Ian, won't be going to preschool. Son can work from home some of the time. Things have changed quite rapidly. Since we are stockpilers in the first place we needed very little to know we are set for a month or so with no grocery trip. I still don't get the panic over toilet paper--LOL! We need to flatten the curve, though, so people who really need the help can get it. Who ever thought we'd live to see a global pandemic in full bloom. Not something we ever wanted to experience.

Stay safe! :)

nck0628 said...

Oh Hilary..the most beautiful, precious baby boy..your grandchildren are gorgeous. Congratulations! Love seeing pics of your incredible daughters. Love hearing about you. Frightening right now. We have never weathered something like this..need to stay in..watch out for each other and we will find out how very dependent we really are on one another...socially, emotionally...economically. As nurses, we tend to look at all this in a manner that is different from those not in the healthcare field? Love you...be taking care of you and your loved ones. Giant hugs.

deb said...

What a sweet new life, the four of them all looked so nice in the picture, thanks for sharing. The days are surreal in many ways, thanks for taking time to blog and let us know that some things do remain the same. Enjoy your family, a special time for all.

A Brit in Tennessee said...

What a beautiful grandson, in all this worldly chaos a precious new life.
Yes, the grocery store situations are a little scary, but we'll make it through, with a little patience.
Be well dear friend,
Hugs,
~Jo

SpinMeAYarn said...

Hi Hilary , congratulations on the beautiful, thoughtful-looking new baby grandson.
Schools and universities and creches are all closed here, so I am at home with my children, and tomorrow my husband starts working from home too.
I am using some of my free time to look up all the blogs I used to follow. Delighted to see that you are weaving away.
This too shall pass.
regards
liz
https://spinmeayarnireland.blogspot.com/

Joanne Noragon said...

Two handsome young grandsons there, and your granddaughter will grow up to be as lovely as her mama.
I've felt extremely isolated all weekend, and went out this morning to the post office. Surprise; there is movement in our world, although the school obviously is closed.
I believe we must take this virus seriously; it's moving relentlessly through foreign countries and we must prepare ourselves. Following the example of a "leader" who asks for exclusive use of covid19 vaccine in exchange for large sums of money is antithetical to our core values.

Deb said...

Congratulations on your lovely grandson, Hilary. How sweet is that family.
The simple little things in life are taking front seat with everyone these days. At least those that want to stay sane.
It's good to have lots of indoor hobbies right now. I have lots of books, a journal to write, love to bake and cook and have plenty of animals to keep me busy.
I do miss my grands, though. But better safe than sorry.
Sending a hug across the border.

thecrazysheeplady said...

Glad you see you back here :-). Congrats on the new grandbaby! Lovely weaving!

hart said...

What a wonderful new grandson! I wish everyone could be welcomed by such siblings.

kestrel said...

Wow your weaving is incredible. Was following your blog many years ago when life wasn t so crazy. I have just resurrected my blog Jom Colour me. Congratulations on your grandson, a good time to welcome someone new and precious to keep every busy during this time of restrictive movement. Stay well

Welcome to my world.

Because every thread counts

Because every thread counts