Pages

Crazy as a Loom

Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy New Year

Ah, it's here. 1-1-11. Wow.
I have read with interest the discussion about New Year's Resolutions. Then I looked back at my own, from just one year ago.
Let's look back, shall we?
Even though it might be painful.....for me.

1. Learn how to take naps, and when you have learned, perFect them.

OK, I will confess that I did in fact take naps last year in January, when I had shingles. I did get pretty good at it. But the truth is that as soon as I felt half way decent, I gave them up, even though they were quite nice.

2.Make a list of friends, old and new, and spend TIME with them. Lunch, day trips, coffee, a glass of wine, a bike ride, a walk. Any time is good time.

I have spent more time with friends, not as much as I could/should, but it is a start. This is a good one to keep reminding myself to do.

3. Walk. No matter what. Foot pain, knee pain, never mind. Walk. Then walk some more.

OK, I have failed MISERABLY here....I admit it. Foot pain, knee pain, laziness, whatever. I get a big, fat ZERO.

4. Be very selective about custom orders. No more jumping through hoops to weave an order that sounds horrific from the first phone call. You don't HAVE to take every order. Embrace this phrase: "custom orders considered". Put that phrase on your web site. Be exclusive. Don't be so easy. Play hard to get. (well, not too hard)

I was absolutely EASY, shamelessly EASY.

5. When you do take orders that sound doable, and even enjoyable, take your time. Don't break your neck to get them done as fast as humanly possible. Noone expects a custom rug in a week.
You are your own worst enemy.

I was a little better at this. I actually did give myself a little more time, and I think I can even do better, if I try.

6. Remember that the studio is a passion, and not a paycheck. It doesn't have to make you crazy, ever. It only has to support itself. Do what you love. It really IS that simple.

This is an easy one. I do what I love. What I want to do. I do have days when I am busy doing what has to be done, but I am really good at getting back to what makes my wheels turn.

7. Keep better records, in a notebook, the old fashioned way.

Ha!!! The notebook.......or should I say NOTEBOOKS......did not work. I am now successfully immersed in Quick Books, and I love it.

8. Plant flowers this year, lots of them; and more trees, make your garden the retreat you have always wanted.

TOTALLY flunked this one.
Garden got zero time, and it went to POT. Not really pot, but you know what I mean.


9.Let old resentments go, like the hawk on the wind, silently.

This was one of my successes, and if I had to say, it was the one responsible for most of my happiness this year. Tough stuff, but I did it. I shared my 'aha' moment with you, the day I saw the hawk soar.

10. Plan time off. You know it is the only way you will really take it. Make detailed plans, then commit.
You cannot CAN NOT work 7 days a week. It is NOT allowed. Take a day off. Take two. If you don't tell someone, plan with someone, you will not do it. YOU ARE a workaholic.

I am a workaholic, and I do plan, because I know if I plan something, I will actually do it. Gotta keep planning.

11. Be open to what the universe is saying to you. There is no better way to create your life every day.

Yes, I have done this.
I think getting older helps one to be more open, to let the energy flow without interruption. I do listen. I have to.


12.Practice gratitude, every day.

Well, maybe not every day, but most days, I do. I am grateful for my life, my family, and the chance to do what I love.


13. Weave what you want, what moves you; become a better weaver.

Hmmm......maybe not enough of this......I did get sidetracked with the Hip to Be Square, and a couple of other things.
I can do this.
I want to do this.
I will give it another shot this year.
From january2011

I agree that making a bunch of resolutions can certainly set you up for disappointment, especially if they are 'pie in the sky' kinds of things.
But a list of "I want to" is a good thing for me.
It keeps me focused, making the list helps me to fine tune what I do want. If I don't make a list, I go off on a tangent.
Tangents aren't good.


Today I wove a couple of hit and miss rugs, a 4' one, and a 7' one.

From january2011

My favorite thing to do is to go up in the attic and drag down a couple of random containers of fabric, and just start weaving whatever happens. They are somehow the best rugs ever.

So, here comes the new year. I think I will just resolve to be as happy as I can be, to be the best that I can be every day.
And to weave whatever the hell I want to weave.
YAHOO.





7 comments:

DebbieB said...

I love your list of "I want to". I must make my own.

Rather, "I want to" make my own. :)

Anonymous said...

YES! Vermont would be very nice, but it's not on the list of places he is interviewing unfortunately. Nowhere near your area. boo hooo me.

Di

claudia said...

First, I want to thank you for the lessons you have taught me. Every post you write, tells me something new and something I need to hear. Thank you for that.
I want to make an "I Want To" list too. I should. I am going to think about what I put on that list though. It has to be things I want ot do and things that I know are doable for me. The list may have to wait until after I see my doctor on the 6th to see what is going on with my left hand and arm. That will give me the boundaries I have to live by. (Hopefully, it'll be a quicker fix.)
Happy New Year to you and your family. I hope this new year sees you happy and dong what you love best!

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...

I've seen the soaring redtail hawk and I have yet to heed the message. *sigh* I'm getting there -

What must bring you joy is that whatever you weave, it's never an exact repeat, always a new creation.

Sweetpea said...

"And to weave whatever the hell I want to weave.
YAHOO."

I am not a weaver but the word "weave" holds many definitions, I think.
May I borrow these last two sentences as my own resolution for 2011?
They seem just about PERFECT!

Pam said...

Love,love,love reading your blog. I am an RN and have been for 23 years. I also weave, spin, knit, etc....to say I would rather be doing the latter instead of RN is an understatement. I admire that you did it and are successful. I would like to make it happen in my life. I plan on making my 'I want to' list for the new year.
Pam

Peg Cherre said...

Another WONDERFUL post, and a great way to approach the dreaded resolutions!

Thanks!

Welcome to my world.

Because every thread counts

Because every thread counts