Pages

Crazy as a Loom

Monday, January 10, 2011

Date night and a move.


 Having my mother go off and visit her friend for a couple of days, gave DH and I some time to just chill.
Last night we had a relaxed dinner, of ribollita with spinach added, and Reuben sandwiches.



It was the perfect night for soup. 


I don't use sauerkraut for my Reubens anymore.  Instead, I very lightly saute some red cabbage.  We had it in a restaurant that way several years ago, and liked it so well, we make them that way all the time.
This morning, L and I took the Cranbrook apart, as much as we could with just two people.  Then DH came to help.  I was going to take pictures, but when you are busy with something, and you have help that is itching to get it done, it isn't a good idea to stop and get your camera out.


This is the empty bedroom AFTER the Cranbrook was moved out.  There was room to put the little antique bed in there, and I like it already.
Then we hauled the Cranbrook down the stairs.
I think I heard it 'sigh'. 
Happy to be in a sunny window downstairs, and not relegated to an upstairs bedroom.
It is a pretty loom, isn't it?

It will be a lovely place to weave.  I am liking this move, this shuffling of looms.  It feels very right.

Now for a whole lot of threading.  Then the challenging job of tying the treadles up to get a good shed.  I prefer counterbalance looms and jack looms, but I will not let this countermarche loom get the best of me.
Simple as that.

I have committed to getting this loom up and running, making some rugs on it, and deciding once and for all.  Keep it, or sell it.
 In the meantime, I am reading a book Radically Simple: Small Footprints for a Finite Earth, by Jim Merkel.
I have a strange feeling that I have been waiting a long time to read this book.
Will keep you posted.

8 comments:

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...

Now you've got me wondering about the book too - please give a review when finished!

The Loom is beautiful - and really really intimidating to those of us who don't weave.

A good Reuben sandwich is about one of my favorites - LOVE the saurkraut, leave off the french dressing - rather have mustard. Now you've also got me curious about the red cabbage, sounds great! And perhaps easier on my stomach :-)

Country Girl said...

First I thought this said, date night and a movie. But it's a move! I love Reuben sandwiches and haven't had one in over 20 years. What a good idea to use the red cabbage. Yum.

Hilary said...

Your home looks so beautiful.. so welcoming.. so sigh-evoking.... sigh!

Need A Latte Mom said...

Fist of all...LOVE your new header.
I have not woven on a loom like this one....need to see what exactly the difference is.

DEEP END OF THE LOOM said...

Looks like alot of work, but it will be worth it once you start cranking out some rugs. Maybe the change of locale will inspire some new ideas. I can't say about he ruben as I don't eat cornbeef or pastrami but the hubby does must try the cabbage and see if he'd welcome the change.

Annie said...

To make life easier I tie up the treadles while there is still space: before sleying (and often before threading) You have to do some adjusting afterwards, but that's less work than all the tying up!
I love your loom!

LiBBy said...

I love the bedroom with the antique bed. Soooo cottagey quaint. Your loom is stunning! I cant wait to see what comes from it.
smiLes
LiBBy

Bonnie said...

She is a beautiful loom and looks very happy in her new location.
Is the red cabbage on the reuben like the German cabbage? Sandwich look so good. Yumm

Welcome to my world.

Because every thread counts

Because every thread counts