Pages

Crazy as a Loom

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Threads.

When the student weaver starts to pick out her own colors, and have her own ideas about what she wants to weave............well, that's a good sign.
To me, it means that she is liking what she is doing; liking it enough to want to create her own stuff.

Here is "L's" Harley Davidson rug.  She has been separating and saving  the orange and black loopers 
for a while.

There is a chance that some people might call this a "Halloween" rug.
Hmm.....

And here are two of the first rugs she made.  
 I think her hard work is paying off.
Ah, another weaver in the world.
That always feels very good to me.
A job well done on both sides.

Today was a short day.  I had a smashing headache that slowed me down until about noon.
Then I got back to the totes.
 I have been weaving them with fabric, but I have shelves FULL of these cones of thread.  An idea has been brewing in my head.


This small bag is woven from all these threads, wound together as one on the shuttle.


And these threads were combined for the large totes.


I really like the way this is turning out.

Of course, when I get about 10 totes done, then I have to sew them up, and put straps on them.  My least favorite part.

I want to go someplace warm.   I am longing for some sunshine.  Don't you ever want to just pack a bag, and get in your car, and drive off to temperatures above freezing??   I need a vacation, that's all.  A break from it all.  Then I could come back with  brand new ideas. New energy.
Sigh.

7 comments:

DebbieB said...

What a good teacher you are! L's rugs look great!

In the summer, I wish to jump in my car and drive to someplace COOL, so I understand how you feel. I hope you get some sunshine soon.

KarenInTheWoods said...

You are just tooooo creative! What a great idea on the totes.

And yes, any self-respecting Harley Afficiondo would CHERISH that looper rug!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Karen and Steve
(Our Blog) RVing: Small House... BIG Backyard
http://kareninthewoods-kareninthewoods.blogspot.com/

ethelmaepotter! said...

I don't know which I like better - the rugs or the photos of the rugs and the procedure!

Halloween never occurred to me until you said so, but now I can see it. I think it's beautiful, all of them.

Sunshine and warm temps? If you find some place, come pick me up on the way, okay?

Lorna said...

You've probably been asked a thousand times, but do you mind if I ask what camera you use? Your cat, I know cat's photograph spectacularly, but your rugs and studio and cats photograph as though pages in a magazine. Please tell?! Thank you...

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...

Can I come too??......another foot last night, more shoveling and bathroom path for the dogs at 6am.

Your student is doing a beautiful job.

Life Looms Large said...

Good idea on the totes! I've seen people make placemats that way too....don't know if that's less sewing or not!!! (I'm not a fan of sewing either!!)

I've heard rumors we might see the sun today here.....but so far they're just rumors!

Sue

Country Girl said...

Can you do it? Can you get away? Maybe you should try. It may be well worth it.
I like her gray rugs here. Nice to have found something to love.

Welcome to my world.

Because every thread counts

Because every thread counts