Pages

Crazy as a Loom

Sunday, February 8, 2009

Today I admitted that I have limitations. I always hate to do that, but sometimes it just is what it is. I wanted to work on tote bags at the studio, but I had my whole family coming for dinner, and my house was a disaster, and my husband is still in Virginia. So after taking my mother to the grocery store early this morning, I came home and cleaned for several hours. Then I went to the studio, fed the cats, took care of the pellet stove, cleaned the kitchen and did the dishes, and came home again, to bake a cake and make roast beef and yorkshire pudding. the house looks great, we had a wonderful dinner, and we had a terrific time. We talked and laughed til tears ran down our faces. It doesn't get any better than that.
Taking a day off from my regular routine is not something I do easily. I tend to get single minded, and don't know how to relax. I said that to my friend, Sheila, the other day at lunch, and she said, "ya think?" So I guess that is not news to anyone who knows me.
But I am determined to change all that. This weekend was my last Saturday to work as an RN. And I only have two single Fridays to work in February, and 3 single Fridays to work in March. Then, I am done with it. I am weaning myself off, you see. And I am going to start taking days off. One a week, maybe two. OK, probably not two. But one, for sure.
And I am going to make a plan, every week, to do things that are NOT work. Things that have nothing to do with business. I know it won't be easy, and I know that my family and friends don't really believe that it is going to happen, but I am counting on YOU to keep me straight. I promise to report here every week on the wonderful day off I have had.
I am going to pick up my grandchildren, and take them places that I would never have had time for before. I am going to go to the library, and the book store, and I am going to bake wonderful things. I am going to Boston with my husband to watch the Red Sox play, and I am going to plant lovely perennials in my Secret Garden at the studio. I am going to take time to walk the labyrinth, and make a path through the wildflowers. I am going to sit by the pool for the whole afternoon, reading a book. I never thought I would be this excited to be this old, but it is perfect.
Oh, yes. I will work very hard still. I will do that til I die, it's the gene pool, you know. But now that I am not going to be a nurse any longer, I can be a full time weaver, and won't be rushing from one life to another. It is SO time for this. I can have just one life. And I can take a day off.

2 comments:

Eulalia Benejam Cobb said...

Are you sure you have limitations? From the description of your day, you don't sound very limited to me!

Hilary said...

It sounds to me like you have a great plan in mind. I suspect that you'll have plenty to blog about as you carry it out.

Welcome to my world.

Because every thread counts

Because every thread counts