Pages

Crazy as a Loom

Saturday, February 21, 2009

Happy Birthday to me

This is the reweaving of an old rug. It is time consuming, and I can't say I will get all the old rugs I have, torn apart and rewoven right away, but I do think they are worth saving.
Today was my birthday. Yup, I made it. Sixty two. Wow. And woke up with a cold, and didn't really feel good all day.
But my kids all came for dinner, with their families, and brought us a wonderful dinner. My husband cooked, too, and made me a cake. Even though I was progressively losing my voice, and feeling worse with each passing hour, I really enjoyed having them all here. There is no better way to spend your birthday, than with the people you love the most.

This is where I make the transition from 30 years of working as an RN, to being a full time weaver. Is that retirement? Is that how it is supposed to go? I guess each of us has to do it our own way. There is no blueprint for growing older. I know that I am not the kind of person to sit
around after retirement, with nothing to do. It has never even been an option. I can't imagine what I would do with myself without my weaving studio.
When I wake up in the morning, I can't wait to get going, and get there. I try not to bolt out the door, without eating something, and having some tea. When I'm there the day flies by, and before I know it, it's time to go home again. I am always wishing the day would just last a little longer. Sometimes, I look up at the clock, and think, "oh, no, it's time to go home"........I'm in the groove with whatever I am weaving, and don't want to stop. That is special, loving what you do every day. I am truly blessed.
I am also blessed with a sweet man that is not just my husband, but my best friend. And a mother who thinks I am the second coming. And three lovely daughters, who I am crazy proud of. And then there are the grandchildren, ........I am one lucky birthday girl.

5 comments:

Hilary said...

Happy Birthday to you! I'm glad you had a good day with family despite feeling under the weather.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Hilary, It sounds as if you had a great day even though you did not feel good. Now do you think you can rest and get rid of it for just a little while? :)

Life Looms Large said...

Sounds like you had a really nice birthday - despite your cold! Happy birthday a day late!

It's great that you enjoyed your career so much, and I'm sure that some one who's created such a full life for herself will find a way to make this next stage of life full and meaningful also! Ask most people a few years after they leave work, and they'll say they had no idea how they ever had time to work!!

The rewoven rug looks great! I love that color scheme!

Sue

Hilary said...

Thanks, all......when I first started blogging, I felt like I was writing, and no one was reading it. Kind of strange, it was like my own little online diary. It is reassuring to know that you are out there. Thanks for the BD wishes.

Mare said...

Happy Birthday to You!

Welcome to my world.

Because every thread counts

Because every thread counts