Pages

Crazy as a Loom

Sunday, February 2, 2014

Pre game show










 Outside our rental, there is a canal of sorts.  Its level goes up and down with the tides.
There are  so many birds here.


 Today I watched an osprey, trying to get something to eat.



He was a  beautiful thing.



Every now and then, he would stay in the same place, beating his wings to not go anywhere, while intently staring down at the water.




I have never seen them do this before.
 But maybe I was never sitting around just looking.


He did this for the longest time...........swoop, stop, hover, swoop some more.  Watching.

 
He would poise to strike, but if he didn't see anything worth while, he would swoop off, and look elsewhere.




Amazing that he could see anything from the height he maintained......


Focus.....


Ready..............set......



 
Go.  See him on the right.......I tried to follow him with my camera, but he was too fast.




I did catch him splashing down.....I bet his talons were OUT.


That fish gave him a little argument.


And soon he was off again.
Without the fish.


Better luck next time, I guess.


Can I just say it's a beautiful day?
Really beautiful.

14 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

what a great thing to witness! i've never seen one of these birds in person.

Anonymous said...

We used to have an osprey that would fish in our little farm pond. It was great to watch.

My favorite though, was out on a hike near home. An osprey caught a trout in the river, but then lost it (after a battle) to a bald eagle. Such power in both those birds. It was wonderful to watch.

ktweaver said...

Wow, Hilary....thanks for a great post! I think you have a new career as a nature photographer.

Susan said...

It's wonderful to hear you enjoying a day! XOXO

Country Gal said...

Fantastic photos . I bet that was awesome to be there seeing it all to ! Thanks for sharing . Glad you are enjoying it there ! Have a great week !

Terry said...

I feel your peace. Enjoy!

Shuttle, Hook and Needle said...

Sounds like you are enjoying nature and the sun. I hope that it is helping you to heal.

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...

..Can I just say.. its a beautiful thing that you have allowed yourself this respite... what a great place to recharge, rejuvenate, refresh.

We have Osprey here too.. I didn't know they were down south as well.

Daryl said...

even here yesterday was a beautiful unseasonably warm day .. the condo my parents had was on a canal and i loved sitting in the florida room watching the herons and the occasional osprey ... across the canal was a wildlife refuge .. thanks for the memory prompt

Vicky said...

You can! You are living your "moments" full- friend. That is what I see and feel. You are present in all that is going on around you and your beautiful photos clearly show us just that. Thank you for sharing! I pray you feel stronger and better each day!

Susan said...

Absolutely beautiful photographs.

thewiildmagnola said...

Beautiful sky, beautiful bird, stellar photographs.

Welcome to the Sunshine State!

thotlady said...

It sure looks beautiful.

Hilary said...

Best pre-game show EVER! You collected some great shots there of the grand ole osprey.

Welcome to my world.

Because every thread counts

Because every thread counts