Pages

Crazy as a Loom

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Checking in.


When I was at Convergence, I got to  see a Cold Mangle in action, at the Vavstuga booth.
It was very impressive, but since I don't have one, and  this one was a gift from my cousin, I am now the proud owner of an antique mangle.  And it gets HOT.  I am going to use it to press my woven towels and such, if I can figure it out.
I think it has some issues, but hopefully we can work them out.



For some reason, it appeals to me.




Every now and again, as if my daily headache weren' t enough, I get the jagged light in my right eye, which has always been the "aura" I have experienced when getting a major migraine.
It happened yesterday, so I took some Motrin, and headed upstairs to lie down.

You don't see much of Kizzy, my manx kitty.  He isn't exactly sociable.

But if you lie down anywhere at the studio, Kizzy is quick to join you.



He is a handsome boy.  And he has a sweet disposition, with everyone.

He likes to push on me with his feet.  It did not keep me awake.
I am not by nature a napper, unless it's for a migraine.
Then I am.
Kizzy stayed with me for the whole time.


L and I did some serious cleaning and organizing this week.
Look what we found.





I couldn't wait for my treadles to come, so I sent DH to Lowe's.
Until my "real" treadles come, these work just fine.

And I am loving this band loom.
Do I need another addiction, really?????




This is too much fun.



9 comments:

Nancy said...

I hope you held off the migraine. Isn't it nice when a kitty stays with you when you are not feeling well? What will you do with what you make on the band loom?

Anonymous said...

I'd like to hear more about the old mangle, once you get it working! And I'm glad you have a sweet cat to nap with and help you fell better--in my experience, it helps a lot!

Shuttle, Hook and Needle said...

So nice to have a kitty care for you.
Don't know about that mangle thing. The name scares me but I have looked at steamers similar to this but I have heard it can be easy to burn. I usually just iron all my handwoven towels. Will be curious how this works for you.

Susan said...

Thor...how appropriate for a mangle! Hope you headed off your migraine - does the change in weather bring them on? I really like that band loom and what is in progress on it.

Lydia La La said...

Dearest Hilary. You are amazing. You are riddled with pain but still you soldier on and achieve, achieve. What a woman! I read all your posts and think of you with your mongrel monster pain. Might be time to kick your usual doctors out and go some where else. By the way... envious of the vegie growing skills. No gardens been happening here for a few years due to going on trips and don't want to bother friends with the watering duties. Take care and I wish you all the very best. xx

Country Girl said...

Sad to hear that you had a migraine. Hope you're feeling better today. And how nice that the kitty stayed with you throughout.

thotlady said...

Beautiful cat. I am glad he was able to keep you company during your nap.

Cupcake Murphy said...

Those kitty legs are priceless. Like a ballerina.

CiCi said...

You have more talent in one baby toe than most of us will ever have. It hurts to hear of another's pain so I hope the headaches are few and far between. Of course a cat lover like me can appreciate your description and photo of your sweet cat.

Welcome to my world.

Because every thread counts

Because every thread counts