Pages

Crazy as a Loom

Sunday, July 26, 2026

The heat finished off my garlic, and by mid month, it was in the shed drying.
Total bulbs of garlic:  88.   I will share with my daughters, and save enough to plant in October for next year.
Garlic is one of the easiest, most satisfying things to grow, in my opinion.





My shed is perfect for it, sometimes I just go out and sit there, it's lovely and quiet, and I love the smell of garlic.


I am still only weaving ONE towel a day, since my shoulder is such a whiner, but they do add up, and here is the last warp, all hemmed and washed and ironed.


I'm quickly on to the next warp.  I hate having an empty loom.  It somehow seems criminal.



I watched a You Tube video, and hung some of my garlic up like this.  I may do the rest, it was so easy.  I love the way it looks, too.





Even though it seems too early, my friends who grow onions say theirs are done, also.
They were all falling over in the garden, and the green parts were starting to turn brown, so I pulled them all, and now THEY are drying in the shed.
I haven't counted them, but there's plenty.



I'm starting some egg towels, the original ones I made.  I can't make the egg shapes because I sold the Megado, that had 16 shafts.  
It just wasn't the loom for me.
I'm keeping it simple these days, and it seems to suit me.

The thoracic surgeon appointment is in a couple of days.  I can't say that I am
not a little anxious about it.
But then I tell myself that worrying about it is a waste of time.
What will be, will be.
And far be it from me to have the power to change one whit of it.

My ribs don't hurt any more, and I'm not short of breath, and for both of these 
things I am very grateful.
It's difficult when you are pushing 80, to not think in terms of how much time you have 
left on this planet, and also to wonder if you will be lucky enough to 
stay functional and on your feet while you are here.
I often think that it might be construed as maudlin.
I prefer to think of it as being realistic.
I know for one thing, that I will in future have the utmost respect for 
stairs of any kind.
I still am surprised at how much damage could be done from the 5th stair
from the bottom.

So perhaps I have slowed myself down a notch, and I try to be more 
mindful.........which reminds me so much
of my English mother.
Every time I would leave her, she would say, 
"Mind how you go."
I never realized what incredibly good advice that was.


No comments:

Welcome to my world.

Because every thread counts

Because every thread counts