Pages

Crazy as a Loom

Monday, August 3, 2015

Kizzy my Kizzy.

The summer is flying right by.  I can't say that it makes me sad.
I love autumn. October is my favorite time of year, and all too short.
This heat wears me down.
Yesterday was a long, hot day.  I was tired.

Last night I was in bed by 9:30.   My two granddaughters playing in "the blue room", with instructions to turn the light off at 10pm.

I went right to sleep, I was exhausted.

I awoke to a huge crash, about 4am.
I sat bolt upright, it was just light enough to see that the screen was out of the window, and Kizzy was on the roof.


He must have been sitting on the bottom of my bed.

Now, Kizzy is a wuss.  A big wuss.  He is afraid of everything.
He was a 4 month old feral manx kitten when I caught him and brought him inside, and though he is babied and loved and always safe, he is afraid.  Always.
If someone drives in the driveway, he hears them before anyone else does, and he is gone like a streak upstairs.
He lives in the loft over the old part of the house.  He loves it there.....he and Jinksie have a bed there in front of the south facing window, and there are lots of places to hide out.
He comes downstairs on occasion.  He gets brushed and fed and petted.  He is VERY gentle.
He is TWENTY SIX pounds of sweetness.

But he is skittish to the nth degree.  He is most comfortable around me, and Lois.  If anyone else comes in, he's back to his loft.  He is beginning to get used to Roy, he doesn't run when he sees him anymore, but he keeps an eye on him all the time.  Same with DH.  It will take him months and months to be comfortable enough to hang out in the same room.



So......it's 4am, still pretty dark, and Kizzy is running frantically on the porch roof, yowling at the top of his lungs.  I am on the roof, trying to get him to come to me, trying not to scare him more.  He dashes up to the peak and down the other side.  I am frantic.  DH is inside trying to keep nosy Sydney from coming out the window to investigate.
Kizzy goes all the way to the very edge of the porch roof, crouching down like he is going to try to jump.
My heart is beating in my chest so loud.  I sit down on the roof, and talk to him......tell him it's ok...I don't try to catch him.  I just talk and say his name over and over, in a soft voice.
He takes a few steps towards me.  Finally I can see that he has changed his mind about jumping, now he just wants to go back in.

He puts his front paws up on a window, a different window, at least he knows he wants to go in there.
He comes close, but not close enough to grab.  He goes to the next window.
I wait patiently, thinking that maybe if he goes around on the roof, he will come to the window that is open, the one we came out of.
And eventually, after what seemed like forever, he did exactly that. 
He put his paws up on the sill, sniffed, and jumped back in.

I was so pumped up, I knew I couldn't sleep, so I went downstairs and decided to just chill on the couch.  Ten minutes later, who should jump up there with me, even with Roy in the room, in the chair.
Yup, Kizzy.  He rubbed up against me, and purred.  He looked up at me, and I swear, if he could talk, he would have said,
"Wow, what the ***** was up with THAT?"

Kizzy bug.


19 comments:

Cait Throop said...

You are such a good and patient Mom!!! Hi Kizzy!!

thotlady said...

Wow, an adventure to be sure.

Cupcake Murphy said...

So glad Kizzy is safe! xoxo

Sharon said...

That's exactly how Maddie is, a former barn cat - even after two years. I'm glad there's another cat like her!

Mary said...

Great story with a happy ending. Kept me at the edge of my seat.

Anonymous said...

Kizzy, I am happy to hear that your adventure ended well and you are safe and sound once again. Whew, please don't do that again!

Cindie said...

Wow - that will get a heart pumping any time but in especially in the middle of the night woken up from sleep. So, glad you both are safe & sound.

Dizzy-Dick said...

Great story. We used to have three cats and it was amazing what all they could get into.

Deb said...

Nothing like a cat to scare the life out of you. At least she has her wits about her
and thinks before she leaps.You kept your cool and helped her back in and she was very thankful.

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...

JEEEZ... glad that turned out OK. And I gotta tell ya, Hilary - that is one fat cat :-) A lucky one too.




Gayle said...

Whew!! On the edge of my seat here. Having kitties and one fraidy cat, know what it is like. Glad the Kizzster is OK and in snuggle mode even. What a hunk of love!!

Mary Ann said...

I love happy endings, thank you :)

Denise at Autumn Sky said...

One of many things that go bump in the night. I'm imagining you in your jammies out on the roof in the middle of the night. Oh yes, the things we do for our beloved animals. So glad it worked out okay.

Daryl said...

what an adventure .. sweet Kizzy .. such a loon ... of our three Jack is usually the most skittish ... but truth be told its Annie who is the wuss ... she almost never walks .. she always seems to be hopping like a bunny trying to get away even when there's nothing anyone else sees or hears ... gotta love these silly kitties

thecrazysheeplady said...

Cats...must have been the night for it!

Ann Boyajian said...

It's terrible when the skittish kitty you are TRYING to help is too skittish to BE helped! Wilbur is also a former feral, and he is very jumpy and shy. He has gotten himself into some real scrapes, and it is very traumatic for both of us.

Mary said...

I don't understand Mr. Dark's comment. Is it for real?

Kate said...

What a pretty boy, love his sweet face. Hopefully he will keep showing up now that you've proved your his hero!

Harry Berry said...

Closes couple's first bills go to view it again as many times you liar butter trading those here got twelve pounds for him and to min hey me feel really weird surveillance Alpha XTRM so take your time you slowly hope that that measures is flat daughter background thread yourself also X-rays emotion only goes hard County Flab home yet matching wealth K here yeah.

http://eyebornfacts.org/alpha-xtrm/

Welcome to my world.

Because every thread counts

Because every thread counts