Pages

Crazy as a Loom

Friday, December 25, 2009

Never say never, even on Christmas.

OK, so we had dinner at youngest daughters last night, and tonight stepdaughter and her boyfriend are coming for dinner, and tomorrow, getting together with all the kids and grandkids, for pizza and gift giving. Don't ask why we are doing it the day after Christmas. The story would take too long.

So today, I am lounging a bit. About 11:30am, I headed to the studio, to feed the cats, and the pellet stove. I figured I would stay long enough to do that, and long enough to give them some love. I feel guilty when I don't have time to pay much attention to them.
When I left the house, I looked at my camera, and decided to leave it home. Now understand that every day, I pick up my purse, and my camera, always. I never leave home without it.
Until today.
Today it seemed silly to take it, after all, it is Christmas, and I didn't plan on being there long. So I picked it up, but put it back down, and left without it.

While I was there, I happened to glance out the window to see some cars pulling up out in front of the studio. I couldn't see much from the living room, so I headed out to the shop, which is in the front room, to get a better view. I was alarmed to see cars stopped on both sides of the road. I thought there must be an accident, but couldn't see any signs of that. Then I saw someone get out of their car, and aimed a camera at the field next to my driveway.
I turned, to look out the south facing window, and saw this.
From Crazy as a Loom


You can imagine my horror, when I realized that my camera and zoom lens were both home on the kitchen counter.
Unbelievable. I was so close I could hear them talking, could hear what they were saying.
And this was the ONLY day in all of 2009 that I did not have my camera with me.
So I ran for my phone, and took the only picture I could take.
And watched them lift off, and heard the roar of their burner.
Never, never leave your camera home.
Not even on Christmas.

14 comments:

T said...

Oh I hate it when that happens and what a day for it to happen to you!!

But, you got a good shot with your camera!

Merry Christmas

Anonymous said...

Lucky you to have such a treat today within view of your camera OR your phone. Good shot, Hilary, and you are right... as a blogger, NEVER EVER leave your camera at home.

Merry Christmas
Di

Gail said...

My camera is with me always, now, because I have missed several wonderful shots and have learned my lesson.

Merry Christmas.

Country Girl said...

Good advice. Seriously, though. You took an excellent picture with your phone.

Hilary said...

I've learned that in similar ways before too. But I have to agree with the others.. you still took a fine shot.

Life Looms Large said...

How cool that you saw a balloon!!! Now maybe I won't tease my DH so much for the camera he got to "keep in the car". Maybe I'll get an amazing photographic opportunity too!

Sue

KarenInTheWoods said...

Sooo what is the story on the balloon? Was it a Christmas surprise for someone? A proposal? A dying wish? A stunt by the Balloon Boy Family? (I thought those parents were in jail!)

Hilary said...

Karen...I don't know.....they landed, and all these cars pulled up....some were following them...had the trailer and all. And I heard them say......"we'll be back"........and off they went. the whole event didn't take 5 minutes.
And thanks all, for the kind words about my phone pic.....I was surprised it was that good. But if I had my camera with the zoom........oh, heart be still.

Nancy said...

What a wonderful Christmas surprise!

Sharon said...

I carry a Nikon Cool Pics in my purse and also used it on Christmas, to take a picture of the frozen Truckee River filled with ducks. They're a hardy lot.

When we lived in town, we were a mile from San Rafael Park where the Reno Balloon races are held. We never tired of seeing and hearing them. One very warm September, a balloon glided low over our house, nearly out of propane. They called down to ask permission to land on our front lawn. Their groun crew brought them new tanks and us a bottle of champagne. We still talk about it.

Need A Latte Mom said...

When we lived in Michigan we had hot air balloons all over our neighborhood. The first time we saw them my husband and I were in the kitchen and heard the kids talking to someone on the deck, looked outside and saw a balloon hovering over our house. Pretty cool!

Anonymous said...

what my DW failed to say is that we are home to what I believe is the 2nd largest hot air balloon festival in the US-Adirondack Balloonfest, so seeing hot air balloons around here is not unusual-just unusual this time of year and very unusual to have them in your side yard

Benita said...

Cool!!! We've had two balloons land at our place over the past 20 years, and there is nothing, NOTHING cooler! I guess just be glad that most cell phones have cameras built in these days.

Marsel said...

Oh no! Even this picture is lovely, though. Belated Merry Christmas!

Welcome to my world.

Because every thread counts

Because every thread counts