Pages

Crazy as a Loom

Monday, December 14, 2009

Change is good.

bj30x60a

Blue jean rugs.
With orders done, and the Christmas open house over, I am weaving blue jean rugs.

I have decided to try something different. I usually take pictures of every blue jean rug I make, then put it on my web site. But a blue jean rug is a blue jean rug. They are all vaguely different, but mostly the same.
So I am going to put one of each size on my web site, and the customer can choose from a 2'x3', a 28"x48", or a 30"x60". Then I will try to weave a stack of each, and not spend time taking pictures of almost identical rugs, and putting them on and taking them off my web site.

And I am thinking that might work for the sock rugs, as well. Making life simpler, isn't that a good idea??

I was eating my lunch today, glanced out the window, and saw a pileated woodpecker. Same tree I saw him on a few weeks ago. I bolted out the door, camera in hand, grabbed my zoom lens from the car, and ran through the snow around the side of the house.
I looked in vain, he was gone.
This is NOT my picture. I wish it were.
Here are a few miscellaneous facts about this awesome bird.

  • The Pileated Woodpecker was the model for the cartoon character Woody Woodpecker.
  • The pileated woodpecker is also regionally known as the "Indian rooster" or the "Rain crow".
  • The roost of a Pileated Woodpecker usually has multiple entrance holes.
  • The sound that a Pileated Woodpecker makes when boring a hole in a tree is so loud that it can be heard over long distances.
  • Pileated Woodpeckers make such large holes in dead trees that sometimes the holes can cause a small tree to break in half.
  • Pileated Woodpeckers have been observed to move their eggs which have fallen off the nest to another site. This is a rare habit in other birds.
I am not done with my Christmas shopping. I don't have a good plan. I get tired just thinking about it.
Does that ring a bell with anyone??

And I desperately need some time off, even a day. It seems a simple thing, right? I can just take the time, right?
Then what stops me.
That, my friends, is the question.
blog849

6 comments:

Country Girl said...

A Pileated was hanging out here for awhile. Haven't seen him since late winter this year. I don't think people realize how LOUD they are.
Love those beautiful rugs, too.

Anonymous said...

We have pileateds in our neighborhood.. Hubby has seen one but not me. Alas. Love those birds and love your rugs too!

Di
The Blue Ridge Gal

KarenInTheWoods said...

Ahh I like your idea on the blue jean rug photos... very cool!

Loree Jackson said...

I'm not done with my Christmas shopping either...not by a long shot :(

Nancy said...

I just love your sock and blue-jean rugs. I'm off to your website now.

Thanks for the woodpecker info - we have few that hang around here in the summer. In the winter - not much bird life.

Sharon said...

I think your blue jean plan makes a lot of sense. I thought I'd be getting more weaving done and still plan to try a rug after the first of the year. It's been pretty busy this month.

Our family agreed to stop exchanging gifts a couple of years ago and that has been very freeing. We just buy for the kids and we do that on Amazon, which I love. We have a lot of fun picking out what we want to give, then have the them gift wrapped and delivered - no standing in line at the post office.

Welcome to my world.

Because every thread counts

Because every thread counts