Pages

Crazy as a Loom

Sunday, November 21, 2021

Changing things up.

It would have been nice to leave the wood siding on this old house, but this is the south facing side, and it began to get a bit expensive to keep painting it.

The exterior paints they make today do not last like the paints of old.  Probably that is because
there is no lead in the paint, to help it to stick to the wood.

But whatever, I cried UNCLE, and parts of my house are now vinyl.



To be honest, standing back from the house, you are hard put to tell the wooden parts from the vinyl ones.  The two sides that are wood, just don't get enough sun to warrant the expense of putting the vinyl all the way around.

I do wonder if my lilac bush will come back, my contractor had to cut a lot of it, to get to the side of the house.  He may have been a bit over zealous.



I really have been enjoying my "come back" to the studio of late......I feel more like myself, than I have since last spring.

I finished my neon yellow towel warp, and I'm using up some lace weight wool that I had already wound on spools.

This truly is my happy place, sometimes I think I don't need much more.



I have also come to appreciate the natural fibers, like cotton, and wool........and the dependable warps that they make.  I am thinking that the man made fibers make good wefts, and simplify my weaving life.



This morning I woke up and decided that it was time to clean the studio.   Not just clean, more like regroup.
So all morning, and into the afternoon, I cleaned, I rearranged, I moved things, I got rid of stuff, I vacuumed and dusted, and then by late afternoon, I decided to weave in my new, clean space.
Of course it gets dark so early, I felt like I was doing some "night weaving", even though I quit at dinner time.

The rearranging has changed the traffic flow, made it seem more open, and less congested.  I really like it.



Of course, the dog beds must stay, that is non negotiable.


All in all, it was a very satisfactory day.   Sometimes, I think that should just be my goal.
Satisfactory.
And that, my friends, can have many presentations.  
It's all in your perspective.




I want to give a shout out to my friend, and fellow weaver, Joanne Noragon, over at Cup on the Bus

She has just recently experienced a revolting turn of events, by breaking her leg, and she now has to muscle through the recovery.   Get better soon, Joanne........and get back to the loom.
Please send her good energy.





3 comments:

Peg Cherre said...

I am completely confident that your lilac will be back. Probably a bit lopsided, unless in a few years you decide to do some pruning to even it out a bit. Those old lilacs are remarkably hardy.

Always impressed with your cleaning and rearranging. I get things put in a place and leave them there.

I'm really liking the natural fibers too, and am considering getting rid of all my rayon and tencel.

Twylla Alexander said...

Hi Hilary, I just caught up reading your last 4 posts and find myself as inspired as ever. The words of wisdom I find in your reflections, especially about change, help me reframe my perspectives. Thank you for writing and sharing so honestly.

Shepherdess55 said...

How I wish I didn't live 1000 miles away so I could meet and visit with you in person. The inspiration and peacefulness is palpable in your pictures. And as always, your words of wisdom strike a chord.

We too succumbed to vinyl this year. Our wood windows were failing; moisture between the panes that would frost in cold weather and wood parts that weren't holding up. From a maintenance standpoint, I hope vinyl windows will be the right choice as we move into our seventh decade and beyond.

Welcome to my world.

Because every thread counts

Because every thread counts