Crazy as a Loom

Sunday, July 18, 2021

Three weeks out

Yes, I am three weeks past my total knee replacement.

I will not tell you that they have been thrilling or easy weeks.  They have not.

This is a painful, and tough surgery.   There is no other way to say it.

But it's doable, and you have to keep your eye on the prize:  a knee that works without pain, 
allowing you to stay upright in your later years.

PT is often torture, but I look at it as a necessary evil to get me where I want to go..

I am not using a walker or a cane.  I am driving myself to PT, which is about 10 minutes away.  I wouldn't want to be driving much further just yet.

I am off all narcotics,  just taking Tylenol, and relying on ICE.  ICE.  ICE.  
And God, I hate ICE.

On the days I don't have PT, I am continually exercising my knee, like every hour.

In addition to the knee pain, I have a screaming IT band up the side of my operative leg, from the knee to the hip.  Apparently, that happens.

To say that I am tired of doing not much of anything would be an understatement.

I read, I do crosswords, I get up and walk around and around the house, I exercise my knee.  I started doing some more greeting cards, a few at a time.

And I nap.  Did I say that I napped???????   Oh, to be sure, I am now a serious napper.

Apparently, most everyone who has this surgery, has trouble at night finding a comfortable 
place for their "new leg".  Thus, sleep becomes problematic.  I sleep in fits, an hour or two here, and there, and the rest of the night is horrific.
So in the daytime, when I manage to get comfortable, usually with ice on my knee, I fall asleep.   Once in the morning, and again, in the afternoon.  And I can't NOT do it,  I'm at the mercy of my need for sleep.
So I just go with it.
I am assuming that my body needs it, so I just acquiesce.

 I've had a couple of epiphanies while I'm recuperating.  Both of them have been brewing in the back of my head for a while, so it's not like they are new.

One is the subject of craft shows.  I had one scheduled for August 1st, and I tried to convince myself that I would be able to do it with a lot of help.
But truly, that's ridiculous. 
Then sitting here with my new normal, at least for now, I realized that I don't want to do shows, now, or ever.  
So I put my canopy up for sale, and some lady snapped it up the very next day.
That kind of puts the cap on that.  
And something else happened that really made it simple.
I had posted on FB that I was looking for suggestions for any shop that might take my collage
cards, wholesale, or on consignment, since I have about 300 just sitting around here.  Next thing you know, a local gallery owner has snapped them up, and taken most all my handwoven clothes, and lots of towels and other stuff.   The best part, is it's about 4 miles from my house.
So that made the decision to give up doing craft shows much, much easier.

The other subject is raising chickens.  
I have been raising chickens for 8 years.
And if you have them, or you have ever had them, you know how much work they are.
My grands don't live close enough to see much of the chickens.  True, they like them when they come, but lucky if that's once a month, and mostly it's longer.
And lately, all I do is spend my time finding homes for the eggs.........

So after weighing all the pros and cons, and really asking myself WHY?   I decided to be done with chickens.

Half of them are gone already, to my friend's husband, who LOVES them, and has given them an awesome home.
The other half will be gone by tomorrow, and they are going to my friend, Laura, who will love them every bit as much.
So I don't have to worry that they won't have a good life.  They will.
And I will have lightened my load, cleaned my plate off a bit, which has been overflowing for some time.

Change is tough, but sometimes, it's the way forward, like it or not.

Every week that goes by is a week further away from that surgery, and closer to getting my life back.
One week at a time.
One day at a time.

Doing what I can, and trying to accept the rest.


Janet said...

Be patient! The recovery is slow, but one morning you will wake up and be glad that you did it. Keep doing the exercises!

Susan said...

At three weeks, your recovery is still very 'fresh'. I was told by my surgeon at 6 weeks that it was very early days and it takes a good 6 months to a year. Its a serious operation and has some serious time involved to recover. After 2 new hips and then the knee.... the hips were nothing compared to the knee! I know you aren't a fan of the ice but it really is your new best friend. Resting and naps are great as you have been through a lot and sleep is the best healer. The IT band tightness stays with you a good long time but eventually one day it just feels fine again. The nerve jolts will keep you hopping for a couple of years. Getting to the 90+ degree bend is key as it sets the tone for the rest of your healing and future mobility. It does get better.....

Is it worth it? You bet! So I'm with you in spirit and 6 years down the same road. (Hubby is next and he needs two knees!)

Cheryl said...

You are doing great, really. It is a very hard surgery and it takes time. Enjoy those naps, because once you get back to normal, you will not need them. I miss the naps...dozing off to Law and Order, Gunsmoke, etc.

I didn't mind the icing. I bought one of those old timey ice bottles from Walmart. It has the cap that you unscrew, fill it with ice and no leaking.

Smart of you to simplify. No more shows, letting your chickens go. It sounds as if you had a lot on your plate all this time.

You drive yourself to PT? You are ahead of the game. PT came to me and I was not given the green light to drive until 6 weeks. You go girl!

Unknown said...

talk about closing a door and a window opens, congratulations on your handwovens moving to a gallery, awesome!

It was hard when we gave up chickens too, I really loved them, I also moved my last few to a good home so no worries there. I am glad you have your pups and cat to love on.

Wishing you a continued successful recovery. (when I was in the hospital getting my kidney removed my roommate had a knee replacement. I would not have traded places with her!!)


Joanne Noragon said...

I have only one friend to compare you to. She did very well with her knee surgery and you are right up with her. On schedule, so to say.

Maryse said...

Yes you are on schedule! Congratulations! I am very proud of you.

Boud said...

Good for you with the new decisions. Hats off! You're way ahead of friends I've observed after knee replacement surgery. Three weeks and you're driving. They did have that sleeping issue, so uncomfortable at night, so tempting in the day. Yes, I'd say go with it, your body's wise.

Peg Cherre said...

I agree with everyone’s comments about your recovery. And all I can do is be rather envious about the gallery. Wish I weren’t, as envy isn’t pretty. But I really want to be completely done with shows, yet I can’t figure out how to get rid of all the things I’ve already woven. So I don’t feel like I can take the step to sell my tent yet. ☹️ GOOD FOR YOU!!!

MarthaVA said...

Hilary, the news about your items going to the gallery is wonderful! Congratulations!
Your comments about your knee recovery, along with what others are saying, is still scaring the hell out of me, but I’m keeping myself positive for the Oct date.
Keep healing!

Welcome to my world.

Because every thread counts

Because every thread counts